Why become a member? ×

Rattling sound on open A

Bonio

Hi,

I bought my Revelation RBN recently. It's second hand and bought it online so couldn't check it really.

One thing started bothering me, a weird metallic sound when I pluck A string. I thought it was maybe a matter of setting up but I'm not best at it and still can't get rid of it. When I touch the string behind the nut, the sound disappears. I don't even need to push, just touch. What is it? Should I think about returning the guitar? I really love it and it would be a lot of bother doing it, as I already binned the boxes.

Here's a video

Sounds like a nut/break angle issue. 

How many turns on the tuner post is the A string?

Making the max number of turns (three to four) will force the string to the bottom of the tuner post and may be enough to fix things... if not the nut slot may need some work.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Bigguy2017 said:

Sounds like a nut/break angle issue. 

How many turns on the tuner post is the A string?

Making the max number of turns (three to four) will force the string to the bottom of the tuner post and may be enough to fix things... if not the nut slot may need some work.

There are a few turns, but I'll post a picture when I'm back home.

So, in other words, it's not a big issue? Just a nut job 😉

Edit: added pictures

Maybe restring it? Could that help?

20240202_151008.thumb.jpg.85c8c859ced525aa5e9da4b1e0887122.jpg20240202_150944.thumb.jpg.92a7f34c6c0a26d40bb9604987ec857b.jpg

Edited by Bonio
added pictures

The two string retainer shows Leo never got it truly right, no matter which time. Apologies to all offended cultists, of course.

Get one of these and finally have some kind of consistent break angle for all strings over the nut. You will be able to put it in the same spot as the current one and cover the existing hole, so your headstock won't have an unsightly hole in it.

https://www.public-peace.de/hipshot-string-retainer-3-strings.html?language=en

Edited by Doctor J
  • Like 2

To test if it is the A string rattling behind the nut causing this issues, which is my best guess as well, and actually pretty confident about this too, try tying a broad hair band, or any strip of cloth really, tight around the strings and neck behind the nut, until you get a string tree to fix the issue.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

On 08/02/2024 at 08:01, Baloney Balderdash said:

To test if it is the A string rattling behind the nut causing this issues, which is my best guess as well, and actually pretty confident about this too, try tying a broad hair band, or any strip of cloth really, tight around the strings and neck behind the nut, until you get a string tree to fix the issue.

Likewise, I used a velcro cable tie when this started happening in a gig.  Around 4 years later, I got round to sorting it properly :D