Why become a member? ×

Loud Pop through speaker , when switching on / off

Hi ,

I just got hold of an old Peavey T Max Head , when its running its quiet  but when I switch it on or off , there is a loud pop through the

speakers .( Its an old Solid State amp )

The way I get over it is to connect the speakers after switch on .

Anyone any suggestions ?

Pete

Edited by petetexas

Volume on zero ( main and pre amps ) graphic switched out .

When switching it on / off at the mains , the pop is quieter .

I was always told that with Solid State Power amps , no speaker connected is the same as having an infinate resistance ?

I`ll get in touch with Peavey and see what they say .

Thanks guys

3 hours ago, petetexas said:

Volume on zero ( main and pre amps ) graphic switched out .

When switching it on / off at the mains , the pop is quieter .

I was always told that with Solid State Power amps , no speaker connected is the same as having an infinate resistance ?

I`ll get in touch with Peavey and see what they say .

Thanks guys

hi,

if the amp is oldish then it could be that any anti-pop components fitted have aged, or as mentioned above, a DC blocking cap at the output has become leaky, and affected parts might now need replacing

If this is not the case, and there are any concerns about switching on the amp minus the speaker, then another approach could be to make up a small external load box, containing a resistor of say 100-200 ohms and 5-10 watts rating. Have this plug in to the amp output socket before switch on, and have an extra socket on this box to then plug in the speaker after switch on, disconnecting the fixed load resistor

...just an idea...

A guy at Peavey has got back to me , and suggests that I get in touch with the service / repair guys at Corby , and ask them about plugging in the speaker after switching on the amp .

Rang Peavey at Corby , but the engineers are away at some show till next week .

The guy on the phone did say that Solid State

Power sections do not have an output transformer ( valve amps do ) 

I'll give them a ring next week .

Confused now........

Pete

• Like 1

Output X-former is needed with valves/tubes, because the tube section's output impedance (Z) is high compared to speaker's Z. The transformer changes (transforms) the tubes' output Z to suit speakers' Z.

Solid state (transistor) power amp has low Z output, and the transformer is not needed.

It is not a bad idea at all to have the load (cab) connected to the amp.

• Like 1

Peavey say they think it could be the mains on / off switch causing an arc during switching giving the pop through the speaker .

Does anyone know what resistor and capacitor value I could use for soldering across the contacts in the switch , to stop the arc ?

A couple of articles I have read are sayin as a rough guide ........ 1ohm per volt for the resistor and 1mf per amp for the capacitor across the contacts = 240ohm + 16mf . Anyone

know ?

Pete

Edited by petetexas

16 minutes ago, petetexas said:

Peavey say they think it could be the mains on / off switch causing an arc during switching giving the pop through the speaker .

Does anyone know what resistor and capacitor value I could use for soldering across the contacts in the switch , to stop the arc ?

A couple of articles I have read are sayin as a rough guide ........ 1ohm per volt for the resistor and 1mf per amp for the capacitor across the contacts = 240ohm + 16mf . Anyone know ?

Sheesh! ...are Peavey suggesting that this Amp has arced inside the Mains switch, at power on/off, for its whole life?!?  Is this regarded by them as a design feature?!?  Don't think it would have lasted a year of regular gigging & rehearsals!

Something else has failed, to cause any such arcing (if it exists) - needs a Tech (with more dedication than Peavey) to inspect and fix

42 minutes ago, sandy_r said:

Sheesh! ...are Peavey suggesting that this Amp has arced inside the Mains switch, at power on/off, for its whole life?!?  Is this regarded by them as a design feature?!?  Don't think it would have lasted a year of regular gigging & rehearsals!

Something else has failed, to cause any such arcing (if it exists) - needs a Tech (with more dedication than Peavey) to inspect and fix

100R and 0.1uF is pretty standard

3 hours ago, Bigguy2017 said:

100R and 0.1uF is pretty standard

'Snubbing' components are pretty standard - arcing isn't!

Does the OP Amp have existing snubbing components fitted?

Is arcing actually happening?  Who knows?  Somebody on the end of a phone at Peavey certainly doesn't!

If it is happening (and only reliable tech inspection can advise), then WHY is it happening?  Have some existing protection components failed?  Is there a separate underlying cause?

Just fitting/replacing 'standard ' parts may mask a more serious underlying issue - if the power on/off 'popping' ISN'T caused by arcing, then what is the cause?

Get the Amp inspected by a reliable Tech and get an estimate for the work

...just my €0.02

Edited by sandy_r

1 hour ago, petetexas said:

Is this the soft start board in the Peavey T Max.

And is the other pic a capacitor .

It only has two solder tags in the board,  so it is not a relay .

This looks like a 1.5k ohm 15W resistor and a relay - i haven't found a resistor of this spec in the Amp schematic ...will keep looking for a bit

What is your intention in using this information?

58 minutes ago, petetexas said:

The black square item , has only two tags connected to board , so it can't be a relay .

Have you a schematic of the Peavey T Max then ?

Pete

Looks like a film capacitor ? Can't see the part numbers.

There are a couple of pages in the manual showing this PCB with the 1K5 15W resistor, cap and fuse.

Peavey-T-Max-Bass-Schematics.pdf

TMax primary PCB.jpg

TMAX Primary scematic.jpg

1 hour ago, petetexas said:

The black square item , has only two tags connected to board , so it can't be a relay .

Have you a schematic of the Peavey T Max then ?

Yes, but the first didn't have the daughterboards - i've just found a different one which shows the board you posted above. That circuit looks like the dropper resistor and start capacitor for the fan, along with fuse and connections to thermal breaker

I don't think that board is involved in softstart protection

What is your intention in using this information?

Edited by sandy_r

On 01/02/2024 at 07:00, Baloney Balderdash said:

Yeah, don't have the speaker disconnected while the amp is turned on, the output transformer won't like it, and you could potentially risk ruining the amp. 

SS amps don't usually have output trannies. A very few hi-fi brands, such as McIntosh, do, but you shouldn't harm your Peavey by switching it on/powering it down without a speaker connected. 

6 hours ago, Dan Dare said:

SS amps don't usually have output trannies. A very few hi-fi brands, such as McIntosh, do, but you shouldn't harm your Peavey by switching it on/powering it down without a speaker connected. 

The harm can come plugging into the cab with a 1/4" lead and briefly shorting the amp across the tip and shaft, much the same as dragging your lead out of your instrument with the gain up puts one across the preamp. POP. Dead short plus solid state for too long is very bad business.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Downunderwonder said:

The harm can come plugging into the cab with a 1/4" lead and briefly shorting the amp across the tip and shaft, much the same as dragging your lead out of your instrument with the gain up puts one across the preamp. POP. Dead short plus solid state for too long is very bad business.

Good point.

Under quiescent (no-signal) conditions, eg. following power-on with Master Vol at Min, there will only be a small fraction of a volt across the speaker terminals on such an amp (at the exact point where amp and speaker are designed to handle 10s of Volts and 10s of Amps)

Normally** of no consequence to Amp or Speaker if the Speaker were to be plugged in at this time (and this is essentialy what many amps do internally with softstart protection relays) - as best-practice, I wouldn't do it, but YMMV

[** on an amp within spec!]

The OP has received a suggestion for handling the safe dissipation of the energy in this power-on/off Pop if he wishes to pursue this route

However, all of the discussion so far is based on the symptoms of the OP issue - because noone (Peavey phone representative included) actually knows what is underlying cause of the noise - is it just a design flaw? - or is it the result of a failure in the amp circuitry, or in any existing softstart components fitted?

Fixing a 'problem' mistakenly is 'very bad business' - much like putting a band-aid directly on an untreated, infected wound

Amp-> Tech -> Inspection -> Estimate  ...Just Do It! 😉

Edited by sandy_r