Why become a member? ×

Small Bass amp choice ( advice needed )

5 hours ago, Phil Starr said:

Wellcome to BassChat. I'm guessing from your name you play guitar as well as bass so may have some experience? I think the first thing which would help us all to home in on suggestions is your budget. The AER Amp One in the video would solve all your problems but at £1939 is beyond most of our budgets.

No 2. on the list would be how you intend using your new amp. There are a few really nice sounding practice amps like the PJB's but they sacrifice sound levels for sound quality and if you intended jamming along with a drummer won't quite cut it. If you intend playing acoustic music something like that willbe really portable and room friendly at home.

No 3. Combo's are great, grab and go and nice and tidy with fewer leads and boxes to trip over if space is limited. Separate amps and speakers are a lot more flexible and the Micro amps like the Elf and Gnome are tiny enough to fit in a gig bag leaving your hands free to carry a speaker.

If you narrow it down a little then you'll get more relevant suggestions.

Someone else dropping expensive names such as AER and PJB. Why do this? Is it to demonstrate good taste and knowledge when it comes to gear? The request was pretty simple - a newcomer to playing the bass wants a nice-sounding bass practice amp/small portable amp for small venues. It doesn't need to be "narrowed down". It's complete as it is.

Nobody apart from the wealthy is going to buy pro-level stuff straight off the bat. Wealthy people do not ask for advice on forums such as this. They take the trusty gold card or, if they're old school, a wad of notes, to somewhere like Bass Direct or The Gallery (maybe even have someone else do it for them) and spend, spend, spend. There's no shame in recommending good honest budget gear.

Edited by Dan Dare
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

TC Electronics BG250 series combos, but my personal favourite is the 208 variant with 2x8” speakers. You often see them pop up on here around the £150 mark.

• Like 1

Just now, JPJ said:

TC Electronics BG250 series combos, but my personal favourite is the 208 variant with 2x8” speakers. You often see them pop up on here around the £150 mark.

I use the 208 as posted above and bought mine new from Andertons for £199. So even new they are not mega expensive. Great choice though.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Dan Dare said:

Someone else dropping expensive names such as AER and PJB. Why do this? Is it to demonstrate good taste and knowledge when it comes to gear? The request was pretty simple - a newcomer to playing the bass wants a nice-sounding bass practice amp/small portable amp for small venues. It doesn't need to be "narrowed down". It's complete as it is.

Nobody apart from the wealthy is going to buy pro-level stuff straight off the bat. Wealthy people do not ask for advice on forums such as this. They take the trusty gold card or, if they're old school, a wad of notes, to somewhere like Bass Direct or The Gallery (maybe even have someone else do it for them) and spend, spend, spend. There's no shame in recommending good honest budget gear.

Calm down :)

Actually not suggestions but just examples I'd picked out from reading the thread. The AER was just an example of something off the scale pricewise to illustrate the point and was in any case only mentioned on a You Tube video so nobody here is demonstrating their taste. The PJB is an example of something which would make a great practice amp but not a gigging amp. I also didn't jump to the conclusion that the OP might be hard up or that although new they were new to bass they might be an experienced musician on other instruments.

The OP asked about small size and practicality not price and it is surely up to them to decide whether they want to set a budget or say whether they prefer a combo or not.

• Like 1

“Nobody apart from the wealthy is going to buy pro-level stuff straight off the bat.“

I’ve both seen and found some great deals buying lightly used gear. Oh I’ve paid the full price of admission for some things , but more often than not look for a good price on preowned.  

And helped quite a few others buying used . Including some newbies. I’d rather buy something once than go through the upgrade. 

12 hours ago, Dan Dare said:

Nobody apart from the wealthy is going to buy pro-level stuff straight off the bat

I dunno about that. In my case I had a p!ssant practice amp that did me no favours when it came to a set of drums being involved. My first real amp was top notch gear as I had some savings and an offer of a well paying gig. One of the open mic hosts needed a bassist and I was well aware I was needing firepower.

1 hour ago, Downunderwonder said:

I dunno about that. In my case I had a p!ssant practice amp that did me no favours when it came to a set of drums being involved. My first real amp was top notch gear as I had some savings and an offer of a well paying gig. One of the open mic hosts needed a bassist and I was well aware I was needing firepower.

But you weren't a beginner if you were offered a well paying gig. Unless there isn't anyone else within a 100 mile radius of you who plays the bass...

Look, I get it. We all love quality gear (not going to be trashy and brag about what I use, but it isn't budget). It just seems patronising to imply someone is wasting their time unless they start out with a grand's worth of kit.

7 hours ago, Phil Starr said:

The AER was just an example of something off the scale pricewise to illustrate the point and was in any case only mentioned on a You Tube video so nobody here is demonstrating their taste. The PJB is an example of something which would make a great practice amp but not a gigging amp. I also didn't jump to the conclusion that the OP might be hard up or that although new they were new to bass they might be an experienced musician on other instruments.

Being hard up isn't the only reason someone might balk at paying two grand for a small AER combo. I'm fortunate enough to be able to afford one, but it wouldn't suit my needs, so I haven't got one.

It does happen quite a lot on here that, when someone asks for advice on starter gear, people leap in recommending Barefaced, AER, PJB and similar. It smacks of trying to appear clever. I also wonder how many who recommend such stuff actually own and use it, as opposed to repeating what they've read in reviews.

The best advice one can give anyone looking for their first rig is to visit a decent shop or two (or perhaps the home of a kindly bass player - several generous souls on here do offer that sometimes) and try stuff out.

Edited by Dan Dare
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Dan Dare said:

But you weren't a beginner if you were offered a well paying gig.

Ya would think that but you would be wrong. Ever hear the story about little Johnny given a bass for his birthday? Pretty much that! All my experience prior was jamming with experienced folks at open mics playing on the residents' gear. 

• Like 1

I play in a four piece rock band and I use a Fender Rumble 40

it has a DI which can be sent to the PA so I essentially use it as an onstage monitor and it’s fine, it weighs about 10kg and has a 10 inch speaker, I use the same amp for practice and it works well

• Like 1

hello @Greenguitarman

I am a relative newbie (been learning bass almost 3 years).  I wanted a bass combo (amp with built in amp) to use for practice and also to take to places and play with others, so enough guts to play along with a drummer in a small venue but I can carry with one hand.  My budget is £300.

I just pushed the button and blind-purchased on a Fender rumble 100 from Scan Computers . Might seem an unusual choice of vendor, I chose Scan because I use them a lot for IT equipment and they have always given me fantastic customer service.

I decided against second hand as wanted something with a warranty and these Rumble amps seem to be universally loved and have overwhelming positive feedback generally on the internet and fits my budget.

Most others on this thread have far more experience than me, but it feels like the 'safe' option based on what I have seen.  I am waiting for it to be delivered and I will let you know!

J

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Jolltax said:

hello @Greenguitarman

I am a relative newbie (been learning bass almost 3 years).  I wanted a bass combo (amp with built in amp) to use for practice and also to take to places and play with others, so enough guts to play along with a drummer in a small venue but I can carry with one hand.  My budget is £300.

I just pushed the button and blind-purchased on a Fender rumble 100 from Scan Computers . Might seem an unusual choice of vendor, I chose Scan because I use them a lot for IT equipment and they have always given me fantastic customer service.

I decided against second hand as wanted something with a warranty and these Rumble amps seem to be universally loved and have overwhelming positive feedback generally on the internet and fits my budget.

Most others on this thread have far more experience than me, but it feels like the 'safe' option based on what I have seen.  I am waiting for it to be delivered and I will let you know!

J

I’m sure you’ve made a good choice, enjoy! 

• Thanks 1