Why become a member? ×

Band members getting on a bit...

Apparently our drummer was talking to workmates about being in a a band and they were taking the mick saying “I bet you’re the old man in the band”. His answer “I’m actually 20 years younger than the next oldest” 🤣

I regularly see videos on social media and hear of people with degenerative issues (Alzheimer’s and the like) that show the sufferer coming out of their shell with music.

For me as an acknowledged music whooer I just love learning and playing different stuff for gigs and deps.

• Like 2

I've not read the whole thread but thought it worth sharing. Probably the best drummer I ever played with had Alzheimers. It was a startup band of experienced musicians (god knows how I ended up there) and some of the best music I ever played. We didn't know about this initially. He absolutely nailed the songs of his youth but struggled with anything he didn't already know and the problem was with arrangements, his muscle memory was fantastic and all his licks were completely intact. That was 10 years ago and he is still playing but sticking to 60s and 70's standards plus a bit of blues. If he is struggleng with memory it doesn't necessarily progress quickly and being a musician is genuinely protective, yet another study reported in this weeks New Scientist

It looks like you want to support your bandmate and that is terrific. Just playing will slow the advance of Alzheimers if that is what it is and he was probably really scared of telling you. If I had a tight band doing 43 gigs a year I'd definitely keep it going. It gets harder to find new bands as you get older, I'm in my 70's and still fit but you don't know what is round the corner. New bands can be so political too until everyone settles in. Treasure what you already have.

Edited by Phil Starr
  • Like 7

I guess we all have a different perception of what is old. My father is still a really active harmonica player and the youngest in both of his current regular bands at 84. He does a total of about 80 gigs a year and when I showed him this thread he was shocked that anyone feels like slowing down at a mere 68. Conversely, my father in law is 78 and really does see his retirement as "just waiting for the end to come". He's utterly pathetic and talks himself out of even being able to drive a car because he's too old.

• Like 2

A lot of it is down to health and fitness, I'd say. At 74 this year, I'll be needing some help moving my e-drums to gigs. I can cope with the playing of 'em (if there's a respite between the more energetic numbers...), and will need a bit of a lie-down for a few minutes afterwards, but I won't be able to help much with stripping down the PA any more. Maybe some light cable winding..? :$

• Like 1