Why become a member? ×

Any Burns experts?

steviedee

A friend of mine, not a bass player, was gifted a bass 30 years ago or something. He just sent me some pics asking if it’s worth restoring. Looks to me like a Burns Bison but I’m no expert …. Any ideas? Looks like it was black and been stripped.

IMG_5031.thumb.jpeg.b4f3d69eea9b165332639d52a0390840.jpegIMG_5032.thumb.jpeg.31697d1c5982d2ddbaecef9c5aeae803.jpeg

Edited by steviedee

• steviedee changed the title to Any Burns experts?

Lovely bass!

It’s definitely worth saving from a bass point of view. From a financial one, that’s harder to answer.

Used you could get up to £1000 for a decent 60s one, more if it’s a desirable colour and original.

If it’s to sell on again, a refin means it’ll be worth much less (possibly half)

If the electronics are replaced possibly even less.

Worst case scenario is that it’s too far gone and can be used for parts.

• Like 1

That's in a sad state, but yes that's a 1964 Burns Bison. I have one and the serial number is also in the 5000"s. The tuners aren't original, they should be the black Van Ghent ones and it's missing the headstock badge, bridge cover and mute assembly. The polyester finish did crack and come off a lot on these so I guess it made sense at the time to strip it back. 

It would certainly be a project and spares are very rare. The electronics on these are complicated, I can let you know what each setting is supposed to do. 

Does it work? I'd be interested to see some more detailed photos. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, gaz66 said:

That's in a sad state, but yes that's a 1964 Burns Bison. I have one and the serial number is also in the 5000"s. The tuners aren't original, they should be the black Van Ghent ones and it's missing the headstock badge, bridge cover and mute assembly. The polyester finish did crack and come off a lot on these so I guess it made sense at the time to strip it back. 

It would certainly be a project and spares are very rare. The electronics on these are complicated, I can let you know what each setting is supposed to do. 

Does it work? I'd be interested to see some more detailed photos. 

Hi Gaz

I'll speak to Graeme and get him to take some to get more details.

Thanks!

Production date sticker may still be on the underside of the main pick-guard. For reference, I have an original Burns Jazz from 16 November, 1964 and it has a serial number in the low 6000’s. As others have mentioned, the polyester coating cracked even on the best maintained examples. Exposed to gigging and bits cracked off. I think there will be the normal VBT controls and a notched potentiometer with some pre-set pick-up combinations and sounds. “Wild Dog” was a unique one!

• Like 1

You're correct about the sticker BlueMoon, although many don't have them as well. Burns are quite random with serial numbers and stickers but it's definitely a mid '64 as the Bison was changed in late '64 and looks quite different.

The controls are a four position selector, an A&B selector, volume and tone. A BlueMoon says "Wild Dog" is one selection and probably the least useful! Very thin and out of phase.

• Like 1