Why become a member? ×

1963 Ampeg B15N - *SOLD*
£2600
London

deekay911

Reluctantly for sale is my amazing 1963 Ampeg B15N. I bought this in the USA in 2005 from its original owner, who at that point was elderly and hadn't used it for many years. It was working but needed a full service. I had the speaker replaced, and all the caps replaced, and the 'death cap' mod to a three lead mains plug done. The tubes are the original Ampeg/Sylvania tubes and all of them measured within range so none were replaced. As you can imagine this amp sounds amazing with that rich ooey gooey Ampeg tube goodness you only find on these vintage combos.

As you can see from the pictures it is in pretty good original and unmolested condition. I chose not to repair the small tolex tears, thinking it was better to keep it as original as possible. There is no dolly. the handle on the top is a non standard replacement from some time in the past. It retains the weird octal plug for the speaker connection that was used for a year or two around 1963. Everything about this dates it correctly to mid 63. Serial number and circuit diagram are correct, and the pots all date to late 62/early 63. Ampeg used the Random Navy Flair until early 63 then switched to the Blue Diamond during the year. It is still a 117V head. I use it with a step-down transformer and all works perfectly. You can buy a 240V power transformer from Fliptops in the US if that bothers you, but as I said I preferred to keep it as original as possible. Comes with a cover, which is a little tatty on the corners.

These days I gig mostly pubs, so this will probably never see another live gig with me, although I did gig it several times when I lived in the USA, in smaller settings. Of course it mics up beautifully for FoH if necessary. I also have an early 60's SB12 and can't really justify them both right now, since neither are really being used. Regarding the pricing - I have priced it high since I am not desperate to sell, and to be quite honest if y'all think the price is too high and it doesn't sell then I am OK with that. The price is the only thing that might lessen the inevitable sellers remorse I will feel if and when she goes. I have looked online and these are getting harder and harder to find and no doubt prices will go up over time. I saw a later 1966 B15 today on Reverb for £3600 which I think is a bit steep, but hey, someone will buy it.

Collection only I am afraid, based in London but may meet within a reasonable distance.

Whole front better.jpg

Head front close.jpg

Guts2.jpg

Guts1.jpg

Circuit diag close.jpg

Circuit diag.jpg

Tubes.jpg

Whole front.jpg

Octal plug.jpg

Head front.jpg

Head back.jpg

Serial.jpg

Speaker.jpg

Octal.jpg

Rt Side.jpg

Back.jpg

Lt Side.jpg

Front.jpg

Top.jpg

Cover.jpg

Old caps.jpg

Inspection tag.jpg

Edited by deekay911
  • Like 13

I’ve a ‘66 and it’s epically good! Mine is the one on Reverb and yes again priced high but after all the  fees it’s not far from your price tbh.  GLWTS dude 

Edited by walshy
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Oh man, this amp. I owned one before I moved to the UK. Just wonderful tone and response. Worked in any room. Unfortunately, it was one of many items I had to sell before making the move. I preferred it to my Demeter rig but was always so nervous about taking it out I often just went with the Demeter. This amp deserves to be heard. GLWTS

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
56 minutes ago, Claudio73 said:

Hi

i’m interested in the Ampeg

i live in London too and got a car 

is it still for sale?

please let me know 

best

Claudio 

Yes still available

• deekay911 changed the title to 1963 Ampeg B15N *SOLD*