Why become a member? ×

Mooer Prime P1... how small can I go for tonight's gig?

warwickhunt

I have a city centre pub gig tonight (in-house rig and engineer) and parking can be a mare (but not always), so I'm in 2 minds about how little I can take.

Mooer - owned it 6 hours but it seems straight forward.  Mooer > in-house PA > house monitor and/or IEM

image.thumb.png.9f8c41c9ebc9665e0d814141e2ddb0af.png

I could potentially take a pedalboard and/or full rig BUT I'm inclined to dive in at the deep end.  Having trialled some of the user created tones, I've selected the one that is closest to 'my' sound and tweaked it a little.  Theoretically, I can tweak the EQ on the fly via the app but hopefully it's a case of Plug and Play.  

I'll report back tomorrow on the results.  

• Like 6

I'm not so worried about the PA; the engineer is old school and knows his stuff, monitors are 15" but not top notch.  The band is a simple 3 piece, so getting what I want in the monitor feed is fairly easy (guitar is PA via a Helix/Tone-X/Boss thang).  The 'unknown' is how good the Mooer is live but I've decided to put a Sansamp in my bag as a backup.  

• Like 4

Hmmm.  Sansamp to the rescue.  :/ 

Engineer had to boost the level to the point where it was horribly hissy; I went into the app mixer and it was on max.  I need to look to see where it is choking the output.  I'll test at another gig tomorrow with a different in-house rig and engineer!

• Like 2

11 hours ago, warwickhunt said:

Hmmm.  Sansamp to the rescue.  :/ 

Engineer had to boost the level to the point where it was horribly hissy; I went into the app mixer and it was on max.  I need to look to see where it is choking the output.  I'll test at another gig tomorrow with a different in-house rig and engineer!

Well it looks like operator error!  Switched the device on, went into the app and within 5 secs I found the global output turned 'off'!  :(  

With the usual gig stresses (inc a dep drummer), I obviously overlooked the 'obvious'!  LOL

Effort #2 today then!  

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, warwickhunt said:

Well it looks like operator error!  Switched the device on, went into the app and within 5 secs I found the global output turned 'off'!  :(  

With the usual gig stresses (inc a dep drummer), I obviously overlooked the 'obvious'!  LOL

Effort #2 today then!  

Glad it's not just me who has those D'oh moments! Hope it works out for you second time around. 

• Like 1

I'm interested in hearing how well the Prime has worked live. The Prime 2 looks like a good upgrade too as can change presets and access the tuner without a phone (although it's bit expensive right now as it has just been released). 

I'm figuring that the Prime (and Prime 2) will be particularaly useful for me taking to weekly band practice sessions and leaving the big pedalboard at home (no need for a power supply, all sorts of extra effects available in-case we think one will be useful for a new song, drum loops available for when the drummer is late!). It's probably also useful for home practice (although I guess the Nux Mighty Plug I have might be more convenient) and a big bonus if it's good enough to play gigs with - somethign reliable with tuner, compressor, eq, and changing presets for a couple of songs with more overdrive is all I need. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, SumOne said:

I'm interested in hearing how well the Prime has worked live. The Prime 2 looks like a good upgrade too as can change presets and access the tuner without a phone (although it's bit expensive right now as it has just been released). 

I'm figuring that the Prime (and Prime 2) will be particularaly useful for me taking to weekly band practice sessions and leaving the big pedalboard at home (no need for a power supply, all sorts of extra effects available in-case we think one will be useful for a new song, drum loops available for when the drummer is late!). It's probably also useful for home practice (although I guess the Nux Mighty Plug I have might be more convenient) and a big bonus if it's good enough to play gigs with - somethign reliable with tuner, compressor, eq, and changing presets for a couple of songs with more overdrive is all I need. 

Live - it worked really well!  

A very simple set up which consisted of my bass into the Mooer with the out going to a DI box > in-house PA (aux feed to a monitor for me).  I didn't need to switch between core sounds or add effects for any songs, so it was a case of using the one preset which I created from scratch, which in fact was the last one I used in the house so I could have turned up at the gig with no phone/interface and it was the preloaded sound ready to go when I powered it up.  

The sound guy was super impressed and he kindly did a few checks for me to see how it's performance rated.  There was zero audible background/baseline noise when not actually playing; his display showed a 'tiny' amount of signal in the low end but he said it categorically couldn't have been heard and he'd not have even noise-gated it out.  He does sound for bands 3 times a day all weekend and he is going to investigate buying one as it looks the ideal back up tool for multiple needs.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

On 02/01/2024 at 11:41, warwickhunt said:

Live - it worked really well!  

A very simple set up which consisted of my bass into the Mooer with the out going to a DI box > in-house PA (aux feed to a monitor for me).  I didn't need to switch between core sounds or add effects for any songs, so it was a case of using the one preset which I created from scratch, which in fact was the last one I used in the house so I could have turned up at the gig with no phone/interface and it was the preloaded sound ready to go when I powered it up.  

The sound guy was super impressed and he kindly did a few checks for me to see how it's performance rated.  There was zero audible background/baseline noise when not actually playing; his display showed a 'tiny' amount of signal in the low end but he said it categorically couldn't have been heard and he'd not have even noise-gated it out.  He does sound for bands 3 times a day all weekend and he is going to investigate buying one as it looks the ideal back up tool for multiple needs.  

Nice one, that's all the convincing I need! I've just ordered the Prime P2. I think at a minimum it'll be the thing I take to band weekly practice to save lugging about a whole pedal board and power adaptors (and adds effects and drum loops etc that I don't have as pedals) and It'll be a backup for gigs, but perhaps it'll also become my main live gigging pedal as I tend to do very little pedal stomping with the current setlist (Tuner/mute and Drive are the only things I tend to regularaly click on and off - if I miss having footswitches for them then there is the Mooer F4 wireless footswitch).

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, SumOne said:

Nice one, that's all the convincing I need! I've just ordered the Prime P2. I think at a minimum it'll be the thing I take to band weekly practice to save lugging about a whole pedal board and power adaptors (and adds effects and drum loops etc that I don't have as pedals) and It'll be a backup for gigs, but perhaps it'll also become my main live gigging pedal as I tend to do very little pedal stomping with the current setlist (Tuner/mute and Drive are the only things I tend to regularaly click on and off - if I miss having footswitches for them then there is the Mooer F4 wireless footswitch).

Interested to know how it works out, I love the idea of a “Tone Brain” that is tiny and I can append what I need as and when. I use the Mighty Plug Pro for home practice and nothing will ever be more convenient but there are some noise issues. Both work as audio interfaces and are good enough to record with.

Then I use a Zoom MS60b for jams because I can power it from 2aa’s and throw it on the floor and go. Prime P2 would be the same vibe but smaller and more flexibility. I see on the newer one you can re-order fx which I don’t think you can do on the P1. Both have IRs which is very cool and then the only other issue I see is none have an octaver.

Just constantly searching for the smallest best sounding multi functional thing I can

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 05/01/2024 at 16:16, SumOne said:

Nice one, that's all the convincing I need! I've just ordered the Prime P2.

Has it arrived?

How is it for bass?

How many f/x can you chain in a preset? (I gather it might be limited by the processing power of the unit)

The f/x listed by Mooer seem ... limited in number, does it have distortion/octave/chorus/reverb?

I'm a 'Small is good' lass (Ooooo Matron!)

Sam x

Edited by SamIAm
  • Like 2

There is another Mooer thread in the effects forum where I wrote this: 

Sort of reluctantly, I'm going to return the P2 to Thomann while I can still get a full refund. (side note, I returned it about 2 weeks ago and haven't been refunded yet. This reminds me I need to chase up). 

It is a good bit of kit, but is quite expensive at £209 and isn't really better than the Nux Mighty Plug (that I already have) for home practise, and although I only have a simple pedal setup for live use it can't replace pedals like the LS-2 for switching between two basses, or a stompable tuner/mute (unless getting the bluetooth footswich - in which case cost and size starts to creep up and then it seems why not get a cheap multi fx with footswitches), so it would be an addition to my pedalboard rather than replacing it.

It would be good as a pocket sized all-in-one pedalboard to take to band practise, but something like the Zoom B1 Four can do similar and save about £130  (allbeit a bit bigger, needing batteries/power supply, and no bluetooth to stream music). 

If I had a lot of spare ££ I'd keep it, but for me it just isn't adding enough to what I already have to justify keeping it.

Hopefully updates give it some Bass Amp/Cabs (although I find Amp sims are basically EQ points and a tone/gain levels of drive - so can be done with EQ and Drive effects blocks, and Cabs can be added as IRs), better tuner reading of a open E, some access to the drum loops/metronome directly on the device, and a low battery warning.

Edited by SumOne
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, SumOne said:

There is another Mooer thread in the effects forum where I wrote this: 

Sort of reluctantly, I'm going to return the P2 to Thomann while I can still get a full refund. (side note, I returned it about 2 weeks ago and haven't been refunded yet. This reminds me I need to chase up). 

It is a good bit of kit, but is quite expensive at £209 and isn't really better than the Nux Mighty Plug (that I already have) for home practise, and although I only have a simple pedal setup for live use it can't replace pedals like the LS-2 for switching between two basses, or a stompable tuner/mute (unless getting the bluetooth footswich - in which case cost and size starts to creep up and then it seems why not get a cheap multi fx with footswitches), so it would be an addition to my pedalboard rather than replacing it.

It would be good as a pocket sized all-in-one pedalboard to take to band practise, but something like the Zoom B1 Four can do similar and save about £130  (allbeit a bit bigger, needing batteries/power supply, and no bluetooth to stream music). 

If I had a lot of spare ££ I'd keep it, but for me it just isn't adding enough to what I already have to justify keeping it.

Hopefully updates give it some Bass Amp/Cabs (although I find Amp sims are basically EQ points and a tone/gain levels of drive - so can be done with EQ and Drive effects blocks, and Cabs can be added as IRs), better tuner reading of a open E, some access to the drum loops/metronome directly on the device, and a low battery warning.

Thanks @SumOne!

Tho Bugg3r!

I've just hit the button on a P2 + Pedal from Thomann.

I've a B1Four & B1XFour ... they are OK, but the P2 is just so small!

Oh well, I'll give it a go and with the Thomann return policy am not too worried if it turns out to be unsuitable.

Sam x

• Like 2