Why become a member? ×

Bass neck - left vs right

rwillett

Apart from tuner position and nut, are there any differences between a left handed neck and a right handed bass neck?

The reason for the question is I want to make a headless bass and I sometimes see cheap left handed bass's and since I'll cut the headstock down, is the neck essentially the same?

I can make a nut that's the same but mirrored as the original. 

Sorry if this is a dumb question 🙃

Thanks

7 minutes ago, Smanth said:

Appropriate sized drill bit & some 3D filiment worked well when I side markered a neck ...

S'manth x

@Smanth

I suspect I can manage that. I may have the odd piece of 3d filament hanging around.

Edited by rwillett
  • Haha 1

Also, this wasn't really made clear, and this might be obvious, but if you plan on using the body as well, that is just flipping the whole bass, then upper frets access might be an issue, and certainly basses featuring a single cut body would be a no go. 

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

@Baloney Balderdash

I'm contemplating 3d printing a bass. I've nearly finished my 3d printed six string and if I can get some time today and tomorrow I will finish it. 

I can assemble, acquire, print and all the other bits and have the headless bridge bits but the neck is the next key thing. EBay has some stupid prices, and so I was looking wider and wondered about a left handed neck. As I'm intending to put a string lock on the end, the fact that the tuner holes are 'wrong' doesn't matter as I'll cut the jead stock down anyway. I don't have the string lock yet as am thinking about the width and access to the truss rod. 

6 hours ago, neepheid said:

Oh, and and any sort of funky shaped neck heel will also be reversed.  But I guess you're making your own neck pocket so it wouldn't matter?  Or are you sticking with Fender-esque things (in which case it shouldn't matter)?

I now have a 3d scanner and turntable (https://3dprinting.com/reviews/reviewing-the-3dmakerpro-seal-the-first-0-01mm-accuracy-consumer-3d-scanner/) so funky shaped neck heels should be no issue at all. Sadly its still in the box from November as had no opportunity to get it out. It won't come out over Xmas either.

To be honest the neck heel worked first time so happy to look at funky ones. The problem is finding them at a sensible price.

14 hours ago, rwillett said:

Ah! That's annoying. Missed that. Back to right handed necks :)

Stick-on dots [1] are available. Or use a sharpie for marking maple or bound fretboards.

[1] That just reminded me of a Maplin catalogue from many years ago, in which one of the items was "Sick-on feet".