Why become a member? ×

GK MB210 cabinet query

Grassie

Hi all,

This might seem like an obvious question, but when it comes to amps I'm a bit light in the knowledge department. Basses - yes, I can chat all day, amps - not much of a clue to be honest...

So, my question: I have a GK MB210 II extension cabinet that I might need to buy a separate head for, as my combo has gone in for repair and might not make it back. Can I run say an MB series head through the cabinet (it's not a powered cab) or will it need a powered cab?

Any help/advice gratefully received and appreciated. :)

Cheers. 

Not all MB is equal.

If the cab for the MB210ii is a passive one that connects from the speakon 8 ohm output on the amp, all good to use another amp.

Whatever you do don't hook up the combo to that set in reverse, or you will have two amps needing repairs.

If it's an MB Active extension with it's own amp inside connecting from the combo chain out XLR and plugging in it's own power cable, not happening. Maybe the active can be defeated and there is a speakon for connecting an amp. Doubtful.

Best post a photo of the extension cab back panel to be sure.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Grassie said:

A bit fuzzy, but clear enough…

9117764B-2B55-4D50-8C9A-E4955E4922F9.jpeg

Yes you can use an amp. But I recommend caution. This is not a cab that can really handle a lot. Raise it, tilt it up. Whatever you gotta do to hear it. Too much pressure, it's in the dumpster. GK was at one time excellent cab makers. And I was their #1 fan. I left them 8 years ago for a reason. 

Be cautious.

• Thanks 1

On 09/12/2023 at 15:07, joel406 said:

Yes you can use an amp. But I recommend caution. This is not a cab that can really handle a lot. Raise it, tilt it up. Whatever you gotta do to hear it. Too much pressure, it's in the dumpster. GK was at one time excellent cab makers. And I was their #1 fan. I left them 8 years ago for a reason. 

Be cautious.

Hi Joel,

Could you be more specific regarding your experience with these cabs? I've run my combo with this cab and have had nothing but great things to say about GK based on this configuration. What in particular made you change over to another brand? 

On 07/12/2023 at 17:08, Grassie said:

I have a GK MB210 II extension cabinet that I might need to buy a separate head for, as my combo has gone in for repair and might not make it back. Can I run say an MB series head through the cabinet

You were running a combo with a second cab until the combo broke.  Presumably the combo alone was not enough, otherwise you wouldn't have been using the second cab with it.  So I don't see how using just the cab on its own will be sufficient.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, jrixn1 said:

You were running a combo with a second cab until the combo broke.  Presumably the combo alone was not enough, otherwise you wouldn't have been using the second cab with it.  So I don't see how using just the cab on its own will be sufficient.

I was running the extension cab occasionally for bigger gigs, but the combo on its own was fine for most occasions.

Anyway, I’ve just had a call from my tech to say that he’s noticed that when it powers up there is a slight crackle (I hadn’t noticed) which he suggests could be the class D power unit on its way out. 😞

7 minutes ago, Grassie said:

I was running the extension cab occasionally for bigger gigs, but the combo on its own was fine for most occasions.

Anyway, I’ve just had a call from my tech to say that he’s noticed that when it powers up there is a slight crackle (I hadn’t noticed) which he suggests could be the class D power unit on its way out. 😞

Perhaps this is a good time to evaluate if you want to commit to a rig built around the 210 MBE. Actually I  had the same rig at one point - MB 210 combo with the 210 MBE extension - but I moved on to a Barefaced Compact (the original 15" one) which was half the size and weight, yet louder.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, jrixn1 said:

Perhaps this is a good time to evaluate if you want to commit to a rig built around the 210 MBE. Actually I  had the same rig at one point - MB 210 combo with the 210 MBE extension - but I moved on to a Barefaced Compact (the original 15" one) which was half the size and weight, yet louder.

Currently window shopping. Thanks for the nod re Barefaced. 😊

On 09/12/2023 at 11:15, Grassie said:

9117764B-2B55-4D50-8C9A-E4955E4922F9.jpeg

Given that I don’t have funds for a new combo at the mo, I think I’m gonna have to go with a head to go with this cab for now, until I can squirrel away enough for a new rig. Any recommendations for a suitable head to match this cab welcomed… 😊

Edited by Grassie

23 minutes ago, Grassie said:

Given that I don’t have funds for a new combo at the mo, I think I’m gonna have to go with a head to go with this cab for now, until I can squirrel away enough for a new rig. Any recommendations for a suitable head to match this cab welcomed… 😊

Since you were happy with the combo until it broke, the obvious suggestion is the MB 500 which is basically what is inside the MB210 combo.  It's discontinued but I saw there is one on eBay (https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/225730329067).

If the combo amp is indeed dead, one option to consider is having your tech wire up the speaker to a socket i.e. to use the combo as a passive cabinet.  You can use the MB 500 head with either one or two cabs.

• Like 2

On 07/12/2023 at 17:08, Grassie said:

Hi all,

This might seem like an obvious question, but when it comes to amps I'm a bit light in the knowledge department. Basses - yes, I can chat all day, amps - not much of a clue to be honest...

So, my question: I have a GK MB210 II extension cabinet that I might need to buy a separate head for, as my combo has gone in for repair and might not make it back. Can I run say an MB series head through the cabinet (it's not a powered cab) or will it need a powered cab?

Any help/advice gratefully received and appreciated. :)

Cheers. 

Is your amp tech authorised by GK? If not and he can't establish exactly what's wrong then I'd recommend finding a GK authorised tech. It might still be affordable to have it repaired, maintaining your modular rig.

It would also be very simple to mod the combo into a cab that still matches your extension cab if the amp really is beyond economic repair. 

Edited by Sparky Mark
  • Like 1

New combo purchased (GK MB410 II), had the 2 x 10 combo serviced, took it to a rehearsal on Wednesday and had it running for a couple of hours straight with no issues. Gigged it last night and the distortion issue came back again, so have spanked the credit card on the new unit - £699 from Polar Audio. Not bad considering Andertons list it for £1200...

My 2 x10 ext cab is up for sale on BC if anyone is tempted, but I'm not sure what to do with the old combo. Maybe list it anyway and invite offers...