Why become a member? ×

Markbass LM2 Issues

ebenezer

I have, on occasion and depending on the design of the jack, been able to pull a tiny contact file, from my Strowger days, between the contacts. 

For a clean barrel & t/r contacts, a squirt of Servisol on a cotton bud is my preference. 

10 hours ago, barkin said:

I have, on occasion and depending on the design of the jack, been able to pull a tiny contact file, from my Strowger days, between the contacts. 

For a clean barrel & t/r contacts, a squirt of Servisol on a cotton bud is my preference. 

Strowger, you must be ex BT/PO Telephones. I remember my stint in an exchange during my apprenticeship. 

21 hours ago, barkin said:

I have a similar contact file to your I think. Commissioning telephone exchanges was my job in life!  I;d walk into a new building full of grey or straw  silent racks of equipment. When I left everything was tickety booming like it was supposed to do.  I wouldn't mind if I actually could get a phone number for myself! LOL I loved that job and I was very, very good at it!

When I got to Canada the powers that be informed me that my EE degree that I had worked so hard to achieve was void unless I wert back to school for two more years. Having a wife and two small boys I couldn't spare the time. I took a job servicing HiFi stereo equipment to get us trough the winter months. 

Contacting the guitarist from the last band in Liverpool, he had moved to Toronto before us,  he suggested I tried Drafting. I was accepted on contract but eventually invited to join the staff of Ontario Hydro. Working on fossil fuel and Nuclear  generating stations. This led to a good pension and a benefit package.

Edited by BassmanPaul

8 hours ago, Chienmortbb said:

I love the story of why Strowger developed the automatic telephone exchange.

https://www.sciencemuseum.org.uk/objects-and-stories/goodbye-hello-girls-automating-telephone-exchange

Could spend all day there.

My old (then) theory teacher was a telephone girl. She was old enough then to tell of the time she found out Mick Jagger was "not a very nice person". Her job was monitoring transatlantic calls for line quality. Mick would place calls to multiple women telling them they were the one and how much he was looking forward to getting back to them. The way she told it you would have been in for a jail sentence if you divulged private information at the time. Perhaps they gave all those jobs to antipodeans on their OE knowing they wouldn't give a rats' about Mick Jagger.

On 18/12/2023 at 12:46, barkin said:

How does dirt/oxidisation on the barrel (or ring/tip contacts) of a jack socket cause problems if there's normally nothing plugged in to it? 

More likely the problem's on the (normally made) switching contacts, and breaking them a few times by inserting a jack plug cleans the contacts sufficiently to get rid of the problem. No gloop squirting required - although I guess some of it may find its way to where it's really needed. 

Correct