Why become a member? ×

CF Martin EB-18 Bass, fretted 4 string, 1979 - *SOLD*
£800
Swansea

Shaggy

As I’m currently winding my bass playing down to a low level I’m putting some stuff up for sale, mostly my main gigging gear.

I suspect this will probably end up as a commission sale at one of the vintage bass shops,  but I’ll give it a go here first.

This is a rare bird; I believe only 800 ever made; USA made of course.

Martin are a very long established and respected US company well known for their high quality acoustic guitars and mandolins.   This was part of their most serious foray into the world of solid bodied electric instruments in the late 1970’s.    It combined Martin’s top-notch craftsmanship and tonewoods with the best US-made components of the time; Grover, DiMarzio and Badass - but it proved not to be particularly successful, probably too expensive and not different enough to other instruments available then.

Solid maple body with the then fashionable Alembic-inspired faux “body-thru” walnut stringers, in natural blond finish which has aged to a lovely pale honey hue.

Mahogany set neck (long 34” scale) with dark (Brazilian?) rosewood board and headstock facing, brass nut.  Stauffer styled headstock shape, a nod to Martin’s German/Austrian 19th century origins.

Very nice thin satin lacquer finish on body & neck, not at all the thick gloss poly “toffee apple” finish typical of the era.

Grover Titan tuners, chrome finish.

DiMarzio model G pickup (same as their Model One but housed in a separate mounting ring with height adjustment), with coil phase switching.  Passive circuit with volume and single tone controls.

Badass 1 (original model) solid brass bridge, chrome finish.

A really nice and unusual bass; the core tone is unsurprisingly quite Precision-like albeit with rather more sustain, but switching the pickup coils out of phase creates a more nasal and scooped Jazz bass type tone that’s very usable. 

100% original, complete with the original very protective fitted hard shell case.

These hardly ever come up for sale, and are almost invariably over £1K when they do.  Asking £800 on this (which is less than I paid many years ago).  Collection from South Wales, near Swansea - I can deliver to Bridgend services M4, or possibly further for fuel costs.   Postage a potential option, but I’m putting 4 basses up for sale and only have one box!    No offers or trades please, it’s priced to sell and I’m just as happy to keep it.   Any questions or requests for specific pics; please message me.

B69F8CDD-859C-49F9-A689-F7F6E2C9FC2D.jpeg

F2F23DE9-D9D4-4C8F-928B-CC3264C56199.jpeg

70971240-2763-4AEA-A365-D80BC125E431.jpeg

723DD46A-D70E-4D1F-8F0B-40C7F656953C.jpeg

06518C8C-D133-4A3B-8051-F9B8919B47E5.jpeg

10854A9F-8689-4D17-AD7C-3271A2C6B9DE.jpeg

F656F9D9-60E0-4940-9B44-1D80030A1F64.jpeg

F45129CF-C3E5-4F96-B511-7FE59428D9BB.jpeg

6DCB337C-2BD6-4267-997D-8B3153C30FE8.jpeg

Edited by Shaggy
  • Like 19

9 minutes ago, binky_bass said:

Not seen one of these in a long while. I can never decide if I love or hate the headstock on these! Really cool basses either way. 

Thanks binky_bass; as I’ve also got a few 19th C classical / parlour guitars I quite like the headstock shape, but I have seen it described as looking like a drooping part of a gentleman’s anatomy.......🤔

Edited by Shaggy
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Shaggy said:

Thanks binky_bass; as I’ve also got a few 19th C classical / parlour guitars I quite like the headstock shape, but I have seen it described as looking like a drooping part of a gentleman’s anatomy.......🤔

It looks like a four-eyed camel :)

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Misdee said:

Wow, I remember when these were new in the shops! These were top-notch quality instruments, as you would expect from CF Martin. Where have all those years gone? GLWTS

Thanks for the good words Misdee 👍. I reckon the late ‘70’s was a real golden era for basses; Kramer, BC Rich, Ovation, Wal, SD Curleee, Alembic, Travis Bean, Ibanez etc, and even some decent stuff from Gibson, Fender, and Rickenbacker - but it was when I started playing so I would say that! 😉

This bass now SOLD thanks, pending the usual.

• Sad 1

• Shaggy changed the title to CF Martin EB-18 Bass, fretted 4 string, 1979 *SOLD Pending*