Why become a member? ×

Ramps

Kongo

First off, not sure where to put this so if it's in the wrong section, sorry.

I've heard alot about these and after some research have not only found out what they do but also found that they would help my playing ALOT!
I never noticed it before but the reason I keep my thumb so welded to the pickup isn't to do with possition as much as I thought but passively I have been using this the same as a ramp: To stop digging in and overshoot / undershoot.

Can these be fit on any bass from say, a Fender Jazz right up to Overwater Progress etc?
Also, how do you get about getting one? I imagine you have to take into consideration action height and neck camber for the shape?
Who makes them and how do you fit one?

I'd love to have one on all my basses so I can get the same feel to the strings and not have to stay on either the bridge or neck pickup...there are other tones to be had but I don't like my fingers to fly into no-mans land if you get me?

Thanks people! :)

They're a great idea, but apart from Ibanez who fit them to the Gary Willis basses I don't know of any other manufacturers who fit them.

I have one on my Sei bass and it really does help stop you from getting your fingers stuck under the strings when venturing away from playing over the pickups.

I don't see why you can't have one made to fit on any bass.

[quote name='6stringbassist' post='483822' date='May 9 2009, 04:32 PM']They're a great idea, but apart from Ibanez who fit them to the Gary Willis basses I don't know of any other manufacturers who fit them.

I have one on my Sei bass and it really does help stop you from getting your fingers stuck under the strings when venturing away from playing over the pickups.

I don't see why you can't have one made to fit on any bass.[/quote]

Yeah exactly, and on moddels that have J-pups it's hard to get all fingers to land on it.
I use 3 fingers also and in order to land them all on to get an even attack I have to shake my hand from side to side which takes some concentration sometimes and I'd rather that be used for time.

I'm using Ibanez basses at the moment though that could change (and often does until I find what I want).

[quote name='YouMa' post='483883' date='May 9 2009, 06:06 PM']You can make em,with a radius sanding block its not hard,you use double sided tape to stick them on.[/quote]

LOL really!?
I take it it only needs chopping to fit length then? Hmmm and of course, finished to go with your bass.

You just need to measure the gap you want to fill or the size you want to use. Measure the string height after you've got the action where you'd like and then choose the height you'd like the bridge under the strings.

Find out the radius on your fretboard and then match it on the ramp Cut the wood sand it and seal it with oil or a varnish (which would get scratched quite quickly). Get some nice double sided tape stick it down and there you go one ramp matching your bass in chosen wood and colour.

One warning Double sided tape is not to be underestimated as long as you dont try repositioning it after its first put down, very strong lasts for ages. Also remember if you want to take the thing off one day don't put too much on as it wil never its very strong when applied the the whole of the underside of a surface and pressed into place. It wont come off without you having to damage the bass beneith it. Its strong enough to hold metal down using a lathe, CNC or heavey duty band sander in a workshop, so thinking it will come off without leverage and force is a bad idea. Infact i have a freind who has one on his bass and is waiting for the double sided to get old and weak as he can't get it off at the moment. He didnt believe me when i said it was strong stuff and layering the whole bottom of the ramp was a bad idea. :)

You don't neccessarily need to match the radius of the fretboard, mine isn't like that. It's basically just filling in the gap between the pickups. It is the same height as the pickups.

I made the one on my Modulus from an ebony fretboard ordered from Touchstone tonewoods. It cost about £10 I think and I had enough wood to make a few. My DIY skills are very limited, so if I can make one then anyone can.

[quote name='Sugden' post='483940' date='May 9 2009, 07:11 PM']As an addtion if you have no want or desire to do any wood work I'm sure a local carpenture would charge you a few hours work for a small job as such or a local luthier.[/quote]

Just so happens my Grandad is a carpenter.
I'd need help with this cause I had a hard time rounding the end of a neck I bought to the same shape as the stock one.

I use double sided tape at work and yeah, it's strong alright!
Surely you'd only want to go round the edges of the ramp but then it'd be even harder to lift.

I shall keep on listening here and figure out if I want to and how to do so.
Can one be fitted on a Jazz? In between the pickups you'd have a bit of difference height wise as the scratchplate ends half way.
But there are other basses I could fit this too too.
It certainly is a good idea I think all companies should offer it.

I just bought a piece of ebony off of eBay for a ramp for my Tyler. A local bass-player got it cut down to the right size and put some foamy double-sided tape to it.

Amazes me that someone hasn't got a ramp-making service. Saying that Jon Suker made a ramp for my Conklin and even colour-matched it to match the bass. He de-fretted it for me at the same time and did a great job.

[quote name='7string' post='485069' date='May 11 2009, 01:58 PM']I just bought a piece of ebony off of eBay for a ramp for my Tyler. A local bass-player got it cut down to the right size and put some foamy double-sided tape to it.[/quote]

Who could that have been :) :rolleyes:

[quote name='7string' post='485069' date='May 11 2009, 01:58 PM']Amazes me that someone hasn't got a ramp-making service. Saying that Jon Suker made a ramp for my Conklin and even colour-matched it to match the bass. He de-fretted it for me at the same time and did a great job.

[/quote]
I know that Overwater do this on their own basses, and 7string got it done by Shuker.
Probably any decent luthier would be able to fit this job in if wanted.

[quote name='d-basser' post='485079' date='May 11 2009, 02:19 PM']Who could that have been :) :lol:[/quote]

No idea :rolleyes:

I didn't want to say for fear of him getting rush of orders for similarly superb ramps.....

Edited by 7string

[quote name='7string' post='485069' date='May 11 2009, 01:58 PM']I just bought a piece of ebony off of eBay for a ramp for my Tyler. A local bass-player got it cut down to the right size and put some foamy double-sided tape to it.

Amazes me that someone hasn't got a ramp-making service. Saying that Jon Suker made a ramp for my Conklin and even colour-matched it to match the bass. He de-fretted it for me at the same time and did a great job.

[/quote]

Nice Conlkin GT7! I never could find one in this country...very nicely priced...I'd use it as my 6-string but with a Low-F# below instead.
Ramps suit these kind of basses very well.

Yes indeed, companies have not caught on yet that bassists are starting to look into and use this "Ramp phenominon" that's going on right now...And rightly so.
Who woulda thunk it? All that time it was the pickup that kept your fingers in check...and then you wonder why you cannot play with fingers at an angle (Like Jeff Berlin would have you do on fear of death LOL)...The mind boggles.

The ramp is genius!
Best of all, if your pickups are ultra hot they wont clip the signal no more as they don't need to be quite as close.

[quote name='Paul_C' post='485139' date='May 11 2009, 03:47 PM']I made a ramp for my Bongo from a bit of MDF radiussed and then covered with some scratchplate material :

[/quote]

That's cool man! :)

[quote name='josh3184' post='485144' date='May 11 2009, 03:56 PM']i made a really bad ramp out of some plastic which I just screwed the pickup screws through :rolleyes:
[attachment=25047:25042009123.jpg][/quote]

I like that. Gives me an ideas of a ramp built on Fenders old metal plate designs eh?
And now my brain explodes...I wonder if I could make a ramp that goes over the pickups in a flashy manner?
Of course, your bass has inspired me!

Edited by Kongo

[quote name='Kongo' post='486470' date='May 12 2009, 10:38 PM']I like that. Gives me an ideas of a ramp built on Fenders old metal plate designs eh?
And now my brain explodes...I wonder if I could make a ramp that goes over the pickups in a flashy manner?
Of course, your bass has inspired me![/quote]

Cost me nothing too, its the plastic cover on an A4 notebook that I cut up :)

[quote name='josh3184' post='486525' date='May 13 2009, 12:10 AM']Cost me nothing too, its the plastic cover on an A4 notebook that I cut up :)[/quote]

Omg WHY DIDN'T I DO THAT!!??
Does it bow in the middle though lol I can imagine the sound to be like Rolf Harris playing bass haha!!!

Hmmm that might be a quick fix until the real deal too...I might work on that idea, thanks! :rolleyes:

[quote name='Kongo' post='486470' date='May 12 2009, 10:38 PM']Nice Conlkin GT7! I never could find one in this country...very nicely priced...I'd use it as my 6-string but with a Low-F# below instead.
Ramps suit these kind of basses very well.[/quote]

I got mine from the US via eBay for $800 (I think) about 7 or 8 years ago. Even with the £/$ rate as it is now, these basses are (IMO) still the best way to get into 7 strings. Shame they don't make them anymore though. The only problem with mine is that it's heavy.

Edited by 7string

[quote name='Paul Cooke' post='486581' date='May 13 2009, 07:45 AM']or just fill in the gaps with pickups...

he don't need any poncy ramp...

mind you, there's room for another pickup there... :)[/quote]

More pickups would affect the sound.
If I like the tone 2 J-pups deliver why would I want more?

Anyways, I really need a camera cause I made something for my Jazz I call a "Flight Deck" bassed upon the many ideas here.
It is attached to my pickups but doesn't go over them...I didn't want the magnetic field obstructed by anything so I went from my neck J to the Bridge J and slightly past, contouring it so it goes with the shape of the control plate.
I need to shim it slightly as it's not [i]quite[/i] flush with the pups but almost.

At the mo it's a prototype made out of Foamalux but ones I get it perfect I might make it out of scratchplate material.
Then I need to shim the underside.

It works like a ramp but stays true with the pups and best of all, leave no marks it was ever there!

Must really get some picks up of it though...it looks quite "Bionic" at the mo as it's black and my scratchplate is white so it's obvious it's there but then I guess at least it gets noticed.
I feel this Jazz test bass is gonna get VERY bionic with DIY features I feel work for me. :rolleyes:

[quote name='hubrad' post='485094' date='May 11 2009, 02:39 PM']I know that Overwater do this on their own basses, and 7string got it done by Shuker.
Probably any decent luthier would be able to fit this job in if wanted.[/quote]

Hello All,

I just spotted this post about fitting ‘ramps’ etc. and can confirm, we do quite frequently fit them to both our own and other makes of bass.

We do also do bass set-ups and offer a full repair, upgrade and customisation service to any make of instrument – and we can collect and deliver from anywhere in the UK if need be: Just give myself or Laurence a call on 01228 590591 for more info’...

Chris (Overwater)

[quote name='overwater' post='493454' date='May 20 2009, 04:52 PM']Hello All,

I just spotted this post about fitting ‘ramps’ etc. and can confirm, we do quite frequently fit them to both our own and other makes of bass.

We do also do bass set-ups and offer a full repair, upgrade and customisation service to any make of instrument – and we can collect and deliver from anywhere in the UK if need be: Just give myself or Laurence a call on 01228 590591 for more info’...

Chris (Overwater)[/quote]

Nice...didn;t know we had a direct contact here.
I'll give you guys some business in the near future then.