Why become a member? ×

Ibanez Promethean P500

Alien

Anyone seen one of these in the flesh yet? 500 watts @ 4 Ohms, 6.4 lbs weight.

[url="http://www.ibanez.com/site/id/2642/promethean/index.html#1"]http://www.ibanez.com/site/id/2642/promethean/index.html#1[/url]

Thomann has them in stock already [url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/ibanez_p500_promethean.htm"]Head[/url] [url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/ibanez_p5110_promethean.htm"]Combo[/url] [url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/ibanez_p110c_promethean.htm"]Extension Cab[/url]

Here's a youtube link

A

I've seen many Ibanez Amps but noone seems to review them / use them so I cannot tell whay they sound like...nor have I tried one.
I have asked about them before elsewhere and someone said "Well noone uses them...that should be enough"...no not really I want to know what they are like LOL!

The numbers sounded absolutely unbelievable to me.... but here is the truth

"The Promethean is considered a Class D amp. During the operation of a Class D amp, the circuitry is switched either on or off, rather than operated in linear mode. This technology allows for its light weight and compact nature, without sacrificing power.

The P5110 Combo weighs only 27.6 lbs (12.8"W x 13.1"H x 14.2"D).

The P500H head (11"W x 10.4"D x 2.2"H) alone is only 6.4 lbs"

The head weighs as much as my little giant 2x500@4ohm, now if a cab that size and weight delivers it would be neat.

Only have used an Ibanez 150W combo before, thought it was rubbish. The owner thought it was rubbish but had to buy it in an emergency, and hasn't managed to sell it for a reasonable price since.

Always wondered how they manage to make great instruments on a budget, but their amps are so bad. Absolutely noone uses them.

[quote name='aj5string' post='483828' date='May 9 2009, 04:42 PM']Well, i use a small 65w ibanez amp at home for a practice amp, and it was the best sounding small amp under £250 in the shop when i was trying them out...[/quote]

[quote name='mcc' post='483849' date='May 9 2009, 05:15 PM']Always wondered how they manage to make great instruments on a budget, but their amps are so bad. Absolutely noone uses them.[/quote]

I think that's cause there are lots of amps out there that deliver the sound you want, but instruments are by feel too.
One you've placed your amp down it's size is irrelevant but your always playing your bass and a neck that's too big is going to bring you down.

[quote name='mcc' post='483849' date='May 9 2009, 05:15 PM']Always wondered how they manage to make great instruments on a budget, but their amps are so bad. Absolutely noone uses them.[/quote]

I guess you just can't make a decent amp for under a certain price. My guitar player once bought a full Ibanez Toneblaster stack new for a shade under £400. Two 4x12s and a 100w head, for that kind of money, there's no way it's not gonna suck. I mean, you could arguably make a guitar out of ply, stick a basic maple neck on it, jam on some budget hardware and budget electronics and still make it playable, even make it sound okay. I've played a few guitars that retail under £100 and they weren't what I'd call "bad", just not particularly good in any way. Really cheap amps, on the other hand, just sound like hunks of crap.

[quote name='maxrossell' post='483866' date='May 9 2009, 05:38 PM']I guess you just can't make a decent amp for under a certain price. My guitar player once bought a full Ibanez Toneblaster stack new for a shade under £400. Two 4x12s and a 100w head, for that kind of money, there's no way it's not gonna suck. I mean, you could arguably make a guitar out of ply, stick a basic maple neck on it, jam on some budget hardware and budget electronics and still make it playable, even make it sound okay. I've played a few guitars that retail under £100 and they weren't what I'd call "bad", just not particularly good in any way. Really cheap amps, on the other hand, just sound like hunks of crap.[/quote]

You said it right there. Plus amps have more in them that are noticable when cheap.
Cheap wood is only usually cheap because it's common or doesn't have a nice grain.
Basswood doesn't have a bad tone...but you'd never put it on a Warwick because no stain is gonna look good on it...It has no grain!
But cheap magnets running a cheap speaker and cheap wiring / solder can only lead to disaster.

You can tell a cheap Hi-Fi appart more than a Cheap guitar is another example on similar principles.

Yes, I am certainly intrigued.. would be fun to pit it against the MarkBass F1 or it's brother the F500 as it appears to be it's nearest contender.

I love the idea of slotting the amp into the back of a combo cabinet.. That's great. Infact I was having a discussion with 'Stag' the other day about active cabinets.. I feel I'm about to take a saw to the back of my Epifani UL610 in order to make my Markbass F1 fit inside ;o)

+

• 1 month later...

Now I have sold my Phil Jones Stack I am waiting to get one of these as it is exactly have I have been looking for. I would ideally like to try it first, but have no worries about getting it from Thomann. But they have said end of July/start of August...I'll be using Ibanez completely then, I wonder if they will consider an endorsement deal* :)

*No, they probably wouldn't

• 2 months later...

[quote name='Mikey D' post='581572' date='Aug 26 2009, 04:26 PM']I don't get it until after the Bank Holiday weekend (next week) and that is all being good with the shipments etc. I will definitely do a review though.[/quote]
Ah OK. I'm waiting for it :)

I tried out the 1x10" combo in a local store last week- WOW!!!! Sounded GREAT!!! HUGE sound for a li'l 1x10" Amp seemed to have LOTSA power too & sounded nice. This was all "in store" remember- so dunno HOW it goes in a band setting. But I WAS DEFINATELY impressed with it. Would've LOVED to have heard it with another 10" plugged in!
I own a LMII & Berg. AE112 so I was sorta comparing it(in my head) to that. & again it impressed. Seemed to have plenty of tone shaping ability & made the EBMM Sterling I was using sound as good as they normally sound :-)

Edited by rodl2005

[quote name='rodl2005' post='582107' date='Aug 27 2009, 07:21 AM']I tried out the 1x10" combo in a local store last week- WOW!!!! Sounded GREAT!!![/quote]Where did you find it? I can't find it on sale yet anywhere in the UK? I wouldn't buy from Thomann because (other than not being able try it first) UK dealers won't touch it if there's a problem under warranty. Am really interested in this. Had some great feedback over on Talkbass and, with the way the Markbass stuff has gone up in price it looks like there's a real gap in the market for this. There's a 2-part review on Youtube here:

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jziWFSBzBk8"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jziWFSBzBk8[/url]

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFPq5Yn4bVU"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFPq5Yn4bVU[/url]

Very few "manufacturers" made both intsrument and amplification from the start or from the same plant with equity of effort, save for Leo Fender's companies and maybe one or two others. Ibanez, is primarily a marque, out of the Hoshino trading arm. Their instruments were firstly commissioned out of various factories and smaller manufacturers. Their pickups & electronics were sourced from Nishin, and Maxon and so forth. Their amps, most certainly were from a smaller OEM facility. There has never been one shed where all the Ibanez stuff came from, unlike, say Fender. So all they have in a common marketing initiative, but probably very little cross over in ideology as they don't own their factories. I had an Ibanez badged mesa boogie MK series copy from the late 70s, it was a great amp.

Edited by synaesthesia

[quote name='Mikey D' post='586650' date='Sep 1 2009, 04:53 PM']It would appear that UK stores won't have it until early november now...great.[/quote]I thought you had ordered it from Thoman? Do they not have it then? Or are you waiting to buy it in the UK to get the warranty? I was hoping for a review by now! :)

[quote name='LowBlow' post='589310' date='Sep 4 2009, 01:29 AM']I thought you had ordered it from Thoman? Do they not have it then? Or are you waiting to buy it in the UK to get the warranty? I was hoping for a review by now! :)[/quote]
I was going to, but they was made a very good offer by a uk retailer that saves quite a bit of money. Although I am tempted now to just pay the extra and get it sooner, although, It would appear Thomann don't actually have it in stock yet either! I think the first company I see that physically has it I'll get it, bored of waiting.

I wouldn't mind so much but I sold my phil jones suitcase stack with the intention of getting a new amp and am now ampless.

[quote name='Mikey D' post='589464' date='Sep 4 2009, 10:43 AM']I was going to, but they was made a very good offer by a uk retailer that saves quite a bit of money.[/quote]Can I ask how much it was? I assume it was the combo? With the way the Euro is at the moment, it wouldn't surprise me if it was cheaper in the UK than thomann. Would be good to know UK street pricing.