Why become a member? ×

Overdrive/Distortion pedals. What to choose.

JonnyCumbo

I would personally go for EHX :

Bass Soul Food (Klon clone with clean blend) for low gain always on overdrive grid

Hot Wax (Hot Tubes + Crayon dual overdrive with clean blend, the Crayon being an alternate take on the Xotic BB Preamp circuit) or Operation Overlord Nano (pretty amazing original circuit with a lot of control options, including a Treble, Mids, Bass EQ section and clean blend) for low to high gain overdrive

Metal Muff Nano (metal type original distortion that sounds pretty awesome on bass, this is the only one of the mentioned that doesn't have clean blend) or Hell Melter (Boss HM-2 clone with clean blend) for high gain distortion

Or

MXR M85 Bass Distortion (RAT clone with clean blend and Turbo RAT mode) for pretty much everything

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

It’s a minefield! What sounds are you trying to get? What bass tones/bands/songs are you trying to sound like? Fuzz? low gain? clanky? modern drive? Thickening up for an old school sound? Strident mid forward? Old time amp?

That is not a complete list by any stretch 😀

• Like 1

I used to run an EHX Bass Soul Food as an always-on tone-thickener, but was never entirely happy as it always seemed to teeter on the edge of being a bit too shrill. Replaced it with an Ampeg Scrambler, which seems far warmer overall (subject to the position of the Treble control) and is definitely more what I was after.