Why become a member? ×

Synth bass help - Ritchie Family

obi 2 kenobi

1 hour ago, obi 2 kenobi said:

Yes, I know that but how is it played?

From hazy memory, several techniques are available (hardware-dependent), and I can't give you the definitive answer, but one trick that many players were very handy with is using the short pause between phrases to push the wheel all the way up  -  to then release it at the same time as the next note is played.
One doesn't then play the key for the tone one hears, but the one for the tone it has to glide to. A whole tone is fairly standard IIRC.

Without remembering exactly, I gather different synths had different wheel return characteristics, so I'm guessing not every synth would do this well in every tempo.

9 hours ago, obi 2 kenobi said:

Thank you

Its pretty impressive playing and pitch control 

You're welcome. Just remember that other live tricks exist too; it's just that I forgot. One, with a more modern synth could be negative pitch-bend from aftertouch (or even from velocity), but I gather it'd normally sound a bit different.
Yeah, pretty impressive.

My own problem was deliberately hitting the wrong key. I'm not very good at wrong notes, I tells ya! 😐 😉 😁

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

I can't think of any synth I've owned with a dedicated pitch bend wheel that didn't allow both up and down bends.

With a suitable modular it would be even easier as you could "program" all the required bends using envelope generators and manually trigger them as required.