Why become a member? ×

Calling any Aria experts

Rayman

I’ve always been a fan of Aria, and in particular the original 90s Integra and IGB basses. My IGB 68 is currently my only 5 string, great bass, very underrated.

However I picked this IGB SPT up recently for not a lot of money…. not entirely sure what it is…. 90/91 I believe, made in Korea… similar to the Billy Gould bass…. 

It was in a sorry state, but a full strip, clean, set-up and strings and it’s a fine thing indeed.1DC29CAF-6147-4F86-9A70-A2B177E9B693.thumb.jpeg.8f15871a0e35329bbe7f2f4c49618664.jpeg

Very light, really killer tone and lovely fretboard…. this things ace, but that’s all I know 

D7C83B56-35C4-4491-988B-D6E7F0C77A2E.thumb.jpeg.81f4e3f5853467aee93c98ffe20c7f12.jpeg

Any more info?

9F5E7239-689B-4911-B0A5-665DEEB62BD1.thumb.jpeg.89e6980087635e0bbdde880a8bac4ee1.jpeg

• Like 6

I still have an early Korean (Samick made) Integra which has the body writing but the short/broad headstock, again bought because it was a cheap way to get the Billy Gould connection!

If you get lucky they still have the MIJ Aria bridges as they used some of the old parts. The pickups in mine are brutish, sound ace for anything heavy.

Edited by lemmywinks
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, lemmywinks said:

The pickups in mine are brutish, sound ace for anything heavy.

Yeah right? This is the same…. I had to double check it wasn’t active!

This thing could be the new backup for the Thunderbird for gigs. Definitely a rock machine.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TheGreek said:

I remember Aria being well respected when I started playing in the mid 80s.

No idea why this isn't as true today. 

Yes me too. I think now they’re seen as one of the entry level companies rather than being recognised for the great quality guitars they made in the 80s and 90s. 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Rayman said:

Yes me too. I think now they’re seen as one of the entry level companies rather than being recognised for the great quality guitars they made in the 80s and 90s. 

Agree

i had a Magna 5 string and it was superb

• Like 1

If anyone cares about such things, the history of Aria is really interesting, and every bit as embedded in Japanese instrument manufacturing history as any of the other revered builders. The Aria story is really fascinating. They really cared about making high quality guitars, but these days it’s more about affordable offerings mostly, which is a shame.

• Like 1

Aria were always good, the shift to Korea and then China did diminish the brand but they were still churning out some nice entry to mid level basses. Well built, great necks, decent pickups and always nice to look at.

Alongside the usual clones they still do some really eyecatching instruments like the FEB acoustics and the SB reissues. There's a really nice PEB65 LP style bass that I keep seeing on Facebook

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, lemmywinks said:

Aria were always good, the shift to Korea and then China did diminish the brand but they were still churning out some nice entry to mid level basses. Well built, great necks, decent pickups and always nice to look at.

Alongside the usual clones they still do some really eyecatching instruments like the FEB acoustics and the SB reissues. There's a really nice PEB65 LP style bass that I keep seeing on Facebook

I sold my blue PEB65 a couple of months ago, very nice thing, I just couldn’t quite get on with it for some reason.

This Integra is absolutely wonderful. The pickups sound amazing, lovey harmonics, it’s so light and easy to play, but with a monster tone and output. What an absolute bargain. Ace thing.

• Like 1