Why become a member? ×

Free 3d printing

rwillett

Due to a major cockup from me, I managed to pull the cardboard side off a new 1Kg reel of black PETG filament. Never done that before. Bloody cardboard reels from Overture.

This means I have a 1KG reel that I need to use pretty quickly. Trying to despool it and spool to a new empty reel is really difficult so thats out as an option. Tried that and it just doesn't work and tangles up.

I need to print things with it or it will get tangled up and I'll just have to throw it away.

So if anybody needs anything printed in black PETG and needs it in the next few days, I'll happily do it for nothing, just pay the postage. Size is fairly immaterial but the bigger the better.

I hate to waste filamant, it was my last roll of black and I'll buy some more, but its annoying to throw it away.

Rob

• Like 3

I've made ears for my TP-Link network switch as it was shorter than 19". Did them 2 years ago, still fine.

I wouldn't think ears for an IBM P-series server would work, given they weigh around 100Kg fully loaded. What I would look for would be the weight, the position of the mounting holes on the device, as that position introduces potential rotational torque, the length of the ears from the frame to the device and the weight of the device. Remember thats a lever.

So if you have a device and a design, let me have a look and I'll let you know. Need to be quick though as I have other things to print now.

Rob

3 minutes ago, rwillett said:

Sadly, the filmanet tangled up, fell off and got even more tangled on the floor. So I can't print. I managed one job and thats it.

Sorry, no more free printing.

Rob

Rob...

You probably already know this, but... I've found that it is important to keep the tension on the output end of any spool of filament, so that the factory windings are never disturbed. By its nature, the free end of a spool will try to spring back, and this will allow a winding to cross with another. It's very difficult, borderline impossible, to get it back to where it should be (don't ask how I know this...), so I'm very careful now when cutting the filament at the end of a job, holding the tension until I can tape or clip the free end firmly to the spool. I have had a filament break during printing, in which case the spool is very much compromised unless I can be in attendance for the rest of the print, and would probably have to 'ditch' the remnants of the spool. I try very hard now to ensure that filament breakage does not occur, and swear very loudly if it does. Hope this helps. :rWNVV2D:

@Dad3353 Yep know all that. I run a 3d printing business as a side line. Done a 100-150 reels in the last two years or so.

The issue was that I managed to break the cardboard reel opening it. Overture use cardboard reels, Prusa use plastic reels. As I opened the sealed reel, I managed to pull the cardboard circular wheel and the whole reel fell on the floor, and the filmament unspooled. As there is no cardboard wheel in place, I put a waterbottle in the middle, placed it on a lazy susan, unbroken side down and fed the filament horizontally. The problem was that I couldn't keep the tension and gravity eventually took over. I thought it would collapse eventually, but wasn't sure when. I reckon I got 25% out before it went mad, so not too bad.

I've tried despooling and respooling as I accidently brought a 3Kg reel and had to wind them onto smaller reels. I am never doing that again as its hard work. The machines do it properly, an electric drill is not the right tool at all no matter how carefully you do it.

Thanks

Rob

• Thanks 1

I’m still happy to print things like battery covers. They’re small and easy. However you need to find a design on something like thingiverse. 

battery covers have little notches and things are very difficult to design if you don’t have the original. 

So if you can find a design I’ll check I can print it

40 minutes ago, Burns-bass said:

I need a battery cover for  Roland Streetcube.

Could you print that?

29 minutes ago, rwillett said:

I’m still happy to print things like battery covers. They’re small and easy. However you need to find a design on something like thingiverse. 

battery covers have little notches and things are very difficult to design if you don’t have the original. 

So if you can find a design I’ll check I can print it

This is close; might be able to adapt its dimensions..?

Battery hatch for Roland Micro Cube, Stl file ...

Street ...

2gHjX2T.jpg

Micro Cube ...

nASNl0D.jpg