Why become a member? ×

Tuning loooooower.

Does anyone on here tune down whilst using a heavier gauge string set? Never done this but I'm interested in a bit of experimentation...maybe going down to C#/F#/Bb/E...bit of an extended low range.

If you do, what gauges/tunings are you using?

Cheers
P

My 5-string was tuned:

G# C# F# B E

and my 6-string once tuned:

F# B E A D G

5-string guage was:

145 - 110 - 95 - 75 - 55

and 6-string guage was:

190 - 130 - 100 - 80 - 65 -45

Was good fun but a pain in the backside.
Basses just ain't as responsive to this as guitars are and your higher frets yield HUGE deadspots or are completely toneless.

Still, Drop-B or C# standard or whatever eare is fine.
But do bassists really need "Drop" tuning?
As we don't barre power chords it's really better standard surely?

[quote name='Kongo' post='482202' date='May 7 2009, 05:32 PM']Still, Drop-B or C# standard or whatever eare is fine.
As we don't barre power chords it's really better standard surely?[/quote]

I completely agreed with you there until recently.....bought a 5 string to play with for the band......we only have a couple of drop tuned songs, but trying to play them in standard on a 5 proved a hell of a lot harder than playing it in drop tuning.

So I still agree with you, but when your trying to follow your guitarists lightning fast drop tuned riffs it's just easier to tune drop tune :)

CGCF

Using 110s.....Its not enough...Im going to go to .125s

Im up for challenging the string makers ala Hellborg,to make a string as tonally responsive as a lighter guage (toppy with a great deal of sustain) but capable of taking a lower tuning,and not losing any of the top end...or said sustain.

That said,Bass strings are still over priced.

[quote name='ARGH' post='482667' date='May 8 2009, 07:36 AM']CGCF

Using 110s.....Its not enough...Im going to go to .125s

Im up for challenging the string makers ala Hellborg,to make a string as tonally responsive as a lighter guage (toppy with a great deal of sustain) but capable of taking a lower tuning,and not losing any of the top end...or said sustain.

That said,Bass strings are still over priced.[/quote]

I'm using DR Hellborgs on my Jazz (see my review). At the time I wrote that, I thought they were a little gimmicky, but I've really grown to like them. They're very easy on the right hand when finger-pluckin' and they ring for ages. I haven't actually jammed with them yet...next week...we'll see how they figure in a band situation and whether they cut the mustard for me in that enviroment. AFAIK, they don't do them in five string sets (yet) or different gauges.
P

I can't believe I actually took a file to my newly acquired Warwick. But I did - and managed to escape without serious incident.

So I've just put BEAD (.060 - 130) strings on and tuned to C and everything seems pretty good. I came across a post on the Warwick forum which suggested that using a 130B set keeps the pressure on the neck reasonably close to using .045-100 in E.

It also suggested a .055 on the Eb (G string) would be even better.

Edited by Eight

[quote name='Eight' post='483742' date='May 9 2009, 02:58 PM']I can't believe I actually took a file to my newly acquired Warwick. But I did - and managed to escape without serious incident.

So I've just put BEAD (.060 - 130) strings on and tuned to C and everything seems pretty good. I came across a post on the Warwick forum which suggested that using a 130B set keeps the pressure on the neck reasonably close to using .045-100 in E.

It also suggested a .055 on the Eb (G string) would be even better.[/quote]

Ryan Martinie used Warwicks de-tuned and had no probs...in fact his tone cut through the mix TOO MUCH! Well...not really but lets say he was clear as day with lots of clarity but growl too...Awesome! Guess it can only be his warwick thumb that allowed this.
But he also hadded a Low-G# as his thumb was a 5-string.

Later he would use the same gauge but higher, so a .135 can be used as a C....But I have a .150 as a Low-b on my 5-string BTB at the mo (the only string I had left!) and it's too tight...the notes die quickly and I wonder if it'd be the same in C with a .130?
Still, let me how it sounds.

[quote name='SammyDamacy' post='482423' date='May 7 2009, 08:48 PM']I completely agreed with you there until recently.....bought a 5 string to play with for the band......we only have a couple of drop tuned songs, but trying to play them in standard on a 5 proved a hell of a lot harder than playing it in drop tuning.

So I still agree with you, but when your trying to follow your guitarists lightning fast drop tuned riffs it's just easier to tune drop tune :rolleyes:[/quote]

I've not been in drop for a few years.
My recent band is in Drop B and I used a few tunings.
At first, C# standard add low-G# so I could get under them...but I find bass guitars don't work properly when de-tuned to the likes of that and went back to B-standard 5 and 6-string...

I find with practise you can do everything they do BUT on top of that, because of the practise needed sometimes it forces you to find a bassline and NOT follow them...so you have 2 options...hell, why not do both! :)

Of course, I'm all for de-tuning, it's a good thing to do as 4-string basses sound beefy in C# standard I find and it can lead to some different song wiriting ideas.
You could play a bassline / slap line in E standard...de-tune and play it in C# standard and find it sounds better / has the desired effect.
I just never got Drop-B...or maybe I just don't want to loose too much range LOL!
Tapping as well...Thick strings are horrible to tap with not only for the weay they react but again, the notes ain't as clear and tend to be muddy.

Anyways..here's some tunings I've used / still use for fun:

4-string

BADG (ages ago when I only had one bass)
C# F# B E
A D G C
A D G Bb

5-string

G# C# F# B E
Bb Eb Ab Db Gb
A D G C F (koRn tuning...guess this is kinda drop)

6-string

F# B E A D G - used a Conlkin .190 for the F#. 35" scale

Have fun...

Edited by Kongo

[quote name='Kongo' post='482202' date='May 7 2009, 05:32 PM']Still, Drop-B or C# standard or whatever eare is fine.
As we don't barre power chords it's really better standard surely?[/quote]

I only drop out for the patterns. If I need to be going C-D-F-G real quick with the C and D on the A string and the F and G on the E string, it's just way easier and a better feel to tune to drop D. Most of RATM's earlier stuff was built around that kind of riff.

[quote name='SammyDamacy' post='482423' date='May 7 2009, 08:48 PM']I completely agreed with you there until recently.....bought a 5 string to play with for the band......we only have a couple of drop tuned songs, but trying to play them in standard on a 5 proved a hell of a lot harder than playing it in drop tuning.

So I still agree with you, but when your trying to follow your guitarists lightning fast drop tuned riffs it's just easier to tune drop tune :)[/quote]

+1. Even when i had a 5'er i prefered to drop tune the E for faster songs. The best i could pull off in standard (BEADG) was 'slither', but that was tiring.

My P-bass is tuned CFA#D# with (i think) D'Ads 50-110s.

In my orignals band, I have two basses setup in drop C standard, so:
C, F, Bb, Eb

I use custom wound 45 - 105 high tension Newtone strings. The trick isn't always in the guage, its also a lot to do with the core size. Make the core bigger and you can have almost any guage you want whilst retaining a higher tension, therefore allowing a lower action without buzzing.
My drop C basses don't have an action as low as my standard tuned basses obviously, but it's pretty damned close, considering I'm using such a relatively thin guage for the tuning

Si

p.s.
Oh and they cost the same as a set of Elites/Rotos :)

[quote name='Sibob' post='484266' date='May 10 2009, 12:43 PM']In my orignals band, I have two basses setup in drop C standard, so:
C, F, Bb, Eb

I use custom wound 45 - 105 high tension Newtone strings. The trick isn't always in the guage, its also a lot to do with the core size. Make the core bigger and you can have almost any guage you want whilst retaining a higher tension, therefore allowing a lower action without buzzing.
My drop C basses don't have an action as low as my standard tuned basses obviously, but it's pretty damned close, considering I'm using such a relatively thin guage for the tuning

Si

p.s.
Oh and they cost the same as a set of Elites/Rotos :)[/quote]

That's an interesting concept.
What bigger core Low-B's are out there? I prefere .130 so I can actually have long sustaining notes instead of just a clunk here and there.
I used .130 on my 35" scale basses but my 34" respond to .135 better.

As far as I'm aware, most string makers use a standard sized core, although I might be wrong!
You also get different shaped cores that affect tension and feel, round and hex cores.

As far as I'm aware, different sized cores are generally just available from custom-wound string makers.

Si