Why become a member? ×

Help please! Markbass for pop-rock, which one to choose?

salaourtxe

Hello! I wanted to ask you about which amplifier you think is best for me. I have a group and we have recorded an album. Until now I have been using a "GALLIEN KRUEGER MB115-II" amplifier, but it belonged to a friend and he wants to use it. So, it's time for me to look for a bass guitar. We're going to start playing gigs now, so I want an amp that I can move around easily and that sounds good. For bass I have a Fender Precision Player. I had thought about these amplifiers, but I don't know which one suits me best:

"MARKBASS CMD 102P IV"

"MARKBASS MINI CMD 151P IV"

"MARKBASS MINI CMD 121P IV"

If you think there is another one that suits me better, please tell me. Another option would be to buy one of these two, but they are more expensive and I don't know if it's worth it:

"MARKBASS MB58R CMD 102 PURE"

"MARKBASS MB58R CMD 151 PURE"

So far we haven't played much because we've been recording the album and now we're going to start playing. Our group plays pop-rock music. Thank you so much!

Edited by salaourtxe

• salaourtxe changed the title to Help please! Markbass for pop-rock, which one to choose?

All of them will work fine, having had the CMD121P (I also had the NY121 ext cab) it’s plenty for a regular size venue though I think I would lean more to the CMD102 or the CMD151 as having a 2x10 or 1x15 is greater surface area so in theory more sound.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, salaourtxe said:

Thanks for answering. But what if I want a combo?? Are the ones I suggested right?

I had an older 102P and I thought it was very good. It needed a drive pedal for heavier things, but the core tone was very nice. The tilt-back ability was very good for small stages so I could hear myself better too.

If I was buying a combo again I'd want to try the new EBS Magni 502 2x10 as well. It's nearly 2kg lighter and has a built in compressor too. The prices are similar.

I have not tried the MB58R amps or cabs. The cabs seem to be very big compared to their other ones. Not sure I'd fit one in my car.

I think any of those Markbass amps would work fine.

I've got a couple of Little Mark heads (the same amp as the combos I think) which I use with either a 102P traveller cab, a 121H cab or a STD102HF (the bigger 2x10 cab), which creates much the same set us as a combo.

A cab with two speakers will sound louder than just one speaker, as it shifts more air and will have greater SPL (sound pressure level) rating usually.

But any of the combos you mention would work fine, and give you the option of adding another cabinet in future if needed.

Good luck, and enjoy!

What's a gig for you looking like? 12 people in a pub or 300 in a proper music venue? Do you consistently have access to a full PA setup?

They're all good amps to be sure, but trying to recommend you an amp is like trying to recommend you a car or a computer, what matters is what you'll be doing with it.

• Like 1

On 06/10/2023 at 19:42, Jack said:

What's a gig for you looking like? 12 people in a pub or 300 in a proper music venue?

It's a good point although in this case a reference of a GK MB115-II was given.  I owned a GK MB210 in the past and it is pretty good and will go quite loud for its size - but a MINI CMD 121P or 102P go very loud for their size.  So @salaourtxe  I reckon that unless you were always running your friend's GK MB115 on full blast, the MINI CMD 121P is the one to go for.  It is also of course the easiest to move around, as it's the lightest and narrowest - which was your primary criteria as I read it ("I want an amp that I can move around easily and that sounds good").

On 07/10/2023 at 23:15, jrixn1 said:

It's a good point although in this case a reference of a GK MB115-II was given.  I owned a GK MB210 in the past and it is pretty good and will go quite loud for its size - but a MINI CMD 121P or 102P go very loud for their size.  So @salaourtxe  I reckon that unless you were always running your friend's GK MB115 on full blast, the MINI CMD 121P is the one to go for.  It is also of course the easiest to move around, as it's the lightest and narrowest - which was your primary criteria as I read it ("I want an amp that I can move around easily and that sounds good").

Yes but then so was the phrase "we're going to start doing gigs now" which makes me wonder if the amp was just for recording or rehearsing.

• Like 1