Why become a member? ×

Custom Fenderbird thingy from the '80s

NikNik

Normally when people use two guitars for inspiration, they take the best bits of each guitar and meld them together. They appear to have done exactly the opposite here....

The bloke thinks it's a wonderful player, but that narrow wasted design jars the eye. Also was the three pin output socket common or even used then? Looks very odd to me, why would you do that because youd need expensive and unique cables.

Oh well at £640, I'll never get to know the answers to this.

Rob

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rwillett said:

Normally when people use two guitars for inspiration, they take the best bits of each guitar and meld them together. They appear to have done exactly the opposite here....

The bloke thinks it's a wonderful player, but that narrow wasted design jars the eye. Also was the three pin output socket common or even used then? Looks very odd to me, why would you do that because youd need expensive and unique cables.

Oh well at £640, I'll never get to know the answers to this.

Rob

Definitely an '80s thing, which I reckon this bass is.  Alembic and JD certainly used XLR. My guess is the XLR was installed to activate the battery, but that could have been done via jack socket.

IME 80s basses with XLRs have them because the XLR provides a parallel DI level output to go along with the standard instrument level jack output.

Somewhat confusingly the DI output on my 80s Overwater didn't work without having the jack lead also plugged in which IMO defeated the object, and originally I thought that it didn't work. However once I'd figured that out, I found it very useful for recording the direct bass sound whilst listening to the proposed effected sound and then being able to "re-amp" at mix down and tweak the effects if necessary.

Personally, if it was feasible I'd replace all line and instrument level signal cable with XLRs as they are some much more reliable than jacks.

26 minutes ago, NikNik said:

Definitely an '80s thing, which I reckon this bass is.  Alembic and JD certainly used XLR. My guess is the XLR was installed to activate the battery, but that could have been done via jack socket.

8 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

IME 80s basses with XLRs have them because the XLR provides a parallel DI level output to go along with the standard instrument level jack output.

Somewhat confusingly the DI output on my 80s Overwater didn't work without having the jack lead also plugged in which IMO defeated the object, and originally I thought that it didn't work. However once I'd figured that out, I found it very useful for recording the direct bass sound whilst listening to the proposed effected sound and then being able to "re-amp" at mix down and tweak the effects if necessary.

Personally, if it was feasible I'd replace all line and instrument level signal cable with XLRs as they are some much more reliable than jacks.

Thank you, always good to learn something new.