Why become a member? ×

exporting a new bass ..vat??

Musicman666

I remember a few years ago being able to get the vat back on some music gear that i was taking out of the UK at Heathrow airport .. is that still the case today?

the shop im thinking of buying from says they don't subscribe to the process anymore more with a special form post brexit and that i would have to do it all myself ..

its going to hong kong tax free port.

but getting clarification about this procedure online is not that easy.. do you guys know anything?. Thanks.

Edited by Musicman666

We're talking buying in the shop and taking away. 

Don't forget that you can still get hit for import VAT when you arrive at your destination. 

As I often have to remind people in my day job. You don't avoid VAT. Some will chime in to say they have, but that is down to luck.

• Like 1

And, if it is a secondhand item the value placed on it at point of entry (destination) may not always be what you paid for it………especially if the local Customs believe that it has been undervalued in order to reduce import charges.

Various websites claim there are booths at airports where you can claim back your VAT paid. Maybe they are staffed by Russians, the websites and booths both.

The UK GOVT site promises much but turns out to only address Northern Ireland shoppers leaving to a non EU country.

Pretty sure unless it's the Russians you can take along your own version of the proper form for the retailer to fill out. Pay them VAT. Then claim your refund at the border.

The retailer does not have to 'participate' but I think they would be ok filling in your form.

On 03/10/2023 at 23:03, Downunderwonder said:

Various websites claim there are booths at airports where you can claim back your VAT paid. Maybe they are staffed by Russians, the websites and booths both.

The UK GOVT site promises much but turns out to only address Northern Ireland shoppers leaving to a non EU country.

Pretty sure unless it's the Russians you can take along your own version of the proper form for the retailer to fill out. Pay them VAT. Then claim your refund at the border.

The retailer does not have to 'participate' but I think they would be ok filling in your form.

That's the retail export scheme that no longer exists. 

On 03/10/2023 at 18:12, sammybee said:

You need to order the item from overseas (ie you need to be/or have presence in HK) and have them ship it to you there then they won't charge you VAT at source.

I think this would make the most sense …essentially the process of exporting it yourself as you fly out has been seemingly scrapped.