Why become a member? ×

Looking for Flats recommendations.

Yan_Huriey

I've a set of 760FL 43-60-82-104, which I've put on my LB-100 twice.

The first time they replaced a 50-65-85-110 set of Pro Steels, which are total tension 180 lbs. They were a bit higher tension.

The second time, one change of pickup later, they replaced a 45-65-85-105 set of Chromes, which are total tension 196 lbs. They were a bit lower tension.

So they're somewhere in the middle between 180 and 196lbs.

Some other sets around there:

45-65-80-105 Swing Bass 182 lbs

45-105 GHS Boomers 184 lbs
45-105 Roto Bass 185 lbs

45-65-85-105 GHS Precision Flats 185 lbs

I found that under my fingers, the 760FL sounded a bit boring — the Chromes are far more responsive to my gentle tickling.

I've also previously tried the 49-69-89-109 760FM. They sounded even more boring played by me. I guesstimated them to be a bit over 200 lbs

I once gave the 40-100 set of Rotosound Monel Flats a go. Total tension is only 179 lbs, but the strings felt much stiffer than steel strings, and my dainty fingers said enough after only half a hour. I did like their consistency of character from one string to the next.

The 45-105 set of Monel Flats is much higher tension. In demos they sound great, but I would never dare try them! Even the double bassist sounding wonderful in this clip says the tension is a bit too much.

I don’t have a P bass but here is my experience with the 4 different instruments I do have. Jazz bass has had La Bella 760 FS on since so long I can’t remember. Except at one point last year when I tried a set TI Jazz Flats. And very soon reverted to the La Bellas. I put the TI’s on an Ibanez SR900 with Nordstrand Big Singles and that sounds and plays very nicely. A set of TI’s on an old medium scale Aria TSB 650, not so good. La Bella DTF’s on the other hand quite amazingly thumpy. TI’s on the Stingray 4HH sound and play very nice indeed. 
These are my ears and I’m keeping them, yours may give different results. 

Edited by Cliff Edge

• 4 weeks later...

My P bass has worn both Rotosound 77 flatwounds, and currently has La Bella 760FLs on it.

The La Bellas feel considerably lower tension than the Rotos - ie i can stringbend normally on the La Bellas but not on the Rotos.

I had a Epi Jack Casady bass with TI Flats on once, and they were lovely - very musical sounding flats, and comfortable to play, but probably as light gauge as I'd ever want to go.

2 hours ago, bassbiscuits said:

My P bass has worn both Rotosound 77 flatwounds, and currently has La Bella 760FLs on it.

The La Bellas feel considerably lower tension than the Rotos - ie i can stringbend normally on the La Bellas but not on the Rotos.

I had a Epi Jack Casady bass with TI Flats on once, and they were lovely - very musical sounding flats, and comfortable to play, but probably as light gauge as I'd ever want to go.

I also have Rotosound 77 flats on one Precision and LaBella 760FL's on another and yes definitely the Rotosound flats are high tension. I also think they sound better so I tend to just use them for recording.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 04/10/2023 at 10:00, Jonesy said:

I've just whacked a set of the La Bella 760FL's on a P for the first time and have been impressed so far. They sound great and the tension hasn't been too much for me.

If you ever need a second set of these, I've got one doing nothing — I really wanted to get on with them, but my dainty touch doesn't bring out their soul. (I won't be interrupting my LB-100's Chromes again.)

How I definitely did not sound with them:

Edited by Munurmunuh

1 hour ago, Munurmunuh said:

If you ever need a second set of these, I've got one doing nothing — I really wanted to get on with them, but my dainty touch doesn't bring out their soul. (I won't be interrupting my LB-100's Chromes again.)

How I definitely did not sound with them:

Now that video is funky 🤗

On 16/10/2023 at 08:59, Munurmunuh said:

I've a set of 760FL 43-60-82-104, which I've put on my LB-100 twice.

The first time they replaced a 50-65-85-110 set of Pro Steels, which are total tension 180 lbs. They were a bit higher tension.

The second time, one change of pickup later, they replaced a 45-65-85-105 set of Chromes, which are total tension 196 lbs. They were a bit lower tension.

So they're somewhere in the middle between 180 and 196lbs.

Some other sets around there:

45-65-80-105 Swing Bass 182 lbs

45-105 GHS Boomers 184 lbs
45-105 Roto Bass 185 lbs

45-65-85-105 GHS Precision Flats 185 lbs

I found that under my fingers, the 760FL sounded a bit boring — the Chromes are far more responsive to my gentle tickling.

I've also previously tried the 49-69-89-109 760FM. They sounded even more boring played by me. I guesstimated them to be a bit over 200 lbs

I once gave the 40-100 set of Rotosound Monel Flats a go. Total tension is only 179 lbs, but the strings felt much stiffer than steel strings, and my dainty fingers said enough after only half a hour. I did like their consistency of character from one string to the next.

The 45-105 set of Monel Flats is much higher tension. In demos they sound great, but I would never dare try them! Even the double bassist sounding wonderful in this clip says the tension is a bit too much.

The rotosound 77 sound rather bright for a flat wound string. 

I love the rotosound swing bass 66 when they are worn in and have lost the fresh sound. 

I've tried a few different brands (Roto, Dunlop, Bass Centre, Status, GHS, La Bella) settled on GHS and La Bella, both I find really versatile depending how you EQ them (on a P bass) I use standard gauge GHS and really enjoy the La Bella medium gauge which is 109-49. 

I play all styles using them and love the feel of medium gauge La Bella.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Reggaebass said:

Has anyone tried the labella Olinto flats, I’ve watched a few videos and they seem quite nice , I’m normally 40-100 ish but wouldn’t mind trying them 

IMG_0800.jpeg

I’ve not played them but like you the sound articulate and thumpy. Mitch Friedman who works for la Bella and also who these was made for gives AMAZING demos of them. 

on talk bass people really like them. They say they don’t seem extremely high tension. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, soulstar89 said:

I’ve not played them but like you the sound articulate and thumpy. Mitch Friedman who works for la Bella and also who these was made for gives AMAZING demos of them. 

on talk bass people really like them. They say they don’t seem extremely high tension. 

Thanks I’ll check them demos out, this one drew my attention, and the silks are different from all my labella’s 

2 hours ago, Reggaebass said:

Has anyone tried the labella Olinto flats, I’ve watched a few videos and they seem quite nice , I’m normally 40-100 ish but wouldn’t mind trying them 

IMG_0800.jpeg

the Instagram video is very informative. I forgot how much i love the sound of these strings. I actually may pickup a set. They sound like a worn in pair of rounds but more thumpy.

• Like 1