Why become a member? ×

Coated string options and questions.

fretmeister

12 hours ago, Doctor J said:

This is a bad thing, a very bad thing, actually.

Saying a string is coated is, in truth, fairly meaningless. It's like the ads for things which are "plant-based" under the guise of being healthier, but are still highly processed blobs of sugar, salt and fat.

How the string is coated is the important part. As mentioned before, the design and intent of the Elixir, coating the outside surface of the wound string as a whole, is to prevent biocrud getting into the windings because that is what makes your strings sound dull and lifeless. Putting a coating on and then wrapping does absolutely nothing to prevent biocrud seepage. In fact, all you're doing is adding a greater percentage of plastic into the string as the outer wind is coated even on the side which is touching the string core and never comes in contact with the player. It's a marketing exercise only and makes a string worse, not better.

This was a lesson learned the hard way, having tried Warwick and then D'Addario's "coated" strings and putting them in the bin not too long after installing them. Elixirs are worth the money because of how they are wound, which I think they still own the patent to. I should never have strayed as it was just an exercise in pi$$ing money away.

Elixirs are like marmite, you love ‘em or you hate ‘me. 
For me the longevity just doesn’t work so they’re not “worth the money.”

• Like 1

1 hour ago, woodster said:

Elixirs are like marmite, you love ‘em or you hate ‘me. 
For me the longevity just doesn’t work so they’re not “worth the money.”

Reckon most people would sooner pay a slightly more premium price for something that doesn't really deteriorate.  

I love these quotes about Keith Richards' guitar tech and killing a set of Elixirs in four gigs.  Go you!  

That’s my point, the “doesn’t really deteriorate” definitely didn’t work for me! 

Maybe it’s another example

of snake oil? Those who seem most perturbed about my dislike of Elixirs are the ones spending their hard earned gig money on them. 

Just now, woodster said:

That’s my point, the “doesn’t really deteriorate” definitely didn’t work for me! 

of snake oil? Those who seem most perturbed about my dislike of Elixirs are the ones spending their hard earned gig money on them. 

Gig money?  People get paid for gigging?  😂

I tried some Rotosound Nexus on my fretless and love them - they're not very durable when played with a pick though, so that might be something to factor in. The tension is great - almost the same as my usual 45 - 105 round wounds, the tone is bright enough to not sound like flats, and the string noise is reduced, but not too much. 

I suppose it's a trade-off between string noise and brightness.

Horses for courses…I’ve had brilliant results from Elixers, both on my fretted 5 and my Jazz. Last for ages, nice balanced tone, and feel nice to my fingers. I put Black Beauties on another bass and don’t like how sticky they feel. YMMV

53 minutes ago, woodster said:

Some strings just don’t work for some people, I get that. I love the playability of D’Addario Pro Steels & Ernie Ball Super Slinkys but I kill them after what seems like one song. 

6 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

Some strings just don’t work for some people, I get that. I love the playability of D’Addario Pro Steels & Ernie Ball Super Slinkys but I kill them after what seems like one song. 

Try the D’addario XTs. I didn’t get on with D’addario XLs at all, they felt rough under my fingers but the XTs are great. 

• Thanks 1