Why become a member? ×

Audio Interface - Linux

stewblack

I've not used Linux, but having spent a fair amount of years in the Audio Interface industry, it's usually the case that manufacturers don't specifically test/support Linux (as you've no doubt found out).

That said, any interface that is class-compliant (ie no driver required on Mac) should work fine, as long as it's not reliant on any bridging software for routing/setup etc.....as that software probably won't have been tested/supported.

Si

• Thanks 1

i'm using Linux on my desktop pc, I've tried a few of the Focusrite Scarlett interfaces, I don't think the 18i8 and 18i20 worked but i've had good luck with the 2i2 and 2i4 ( i think they are both gen 1)  I've been using Reaper as my DAW but they also work perfectly with zoom as well as a general sound card. the 2i4 is my main interface for that machine.

a far as I could find out most of the 2 channel interfaces on the market are class compliant and will work fine under Linux, but any more channels and they need specific software/drivers. (as pointed out by @Sibob)

I did try and run the Scarlet mix control software using Wine but couldn't get it to work (I'm no computer expert though)

Matt

Edited by Matt P
spelling
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Matt P said:

i'm using Linux on my desktop pc, I've tried a few of the Focusrite Scarlett interfaces, I don't think the 18i8 and 18i20 worked but i've had good luck with the 2i2 and 2i4 ( i think they are both gen 1)  I've been using Reaper as my DAW but they also work perfectly with zoom as well as a general sound card. the 2i4 is my main interface for that machine.

a far as I could find out most of the 2 channel interfaces on the market are class complient and will work fine under Linux, but any more channels and they need specific software/drivers.

I did try and run the Scarlet mix control software using Wine but couldn't get it to work (I'm no computer expert though)

Matt

You'll probably find that if the larger I/O interfaces are setup on a Windows/MacOS computer with regards to Focusrite Control, their I/O routings etc, they'll work fine on a Linux system. The larger I/O are also class compliant, but as you say, it's the bridging software that will likely be the issue here. Depends whether someone wants to chop and change their interface settings/routings, or whether they're happy to 'set and forget'.

Si

Edited by Sibob
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Anything Class Compliant will work out of the box. Now if your new interface has a fancy mixer manager it will not work and they are made for Windows but you can always try it using Wine first.

Behringer and Focusrite Scarlett will all work very well out of the box. I got both and never had an issue.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Sibob said:

You'll probably find that if the larger I/O interfaces are setup on a Windows/MacOS computer with regards to Focusrite Control, their I/O routings etc, they'll work fine on a Linux system. The larger I/O are also class compliant, but as you say, it's the bridging software that will likely be the issue here. Depends whether someone wants to chop and change their interface settings, or whether they're happy to 'set and forget'.

Si

ooh, i didn't know this, i'll have to set my 18i20 up with my windows machine then try it on the Linux machine.  

Thank you!

• Like 1

I use the earlier 16 bit version of the Akai EIE, since it has a lot of features and also functions as a USB MIDI unit. Works perfectly with my Debian Linux system, and pops up cheaply second hand.

(The later Pro version doesn't work with Linux though, as it uses it's own driver for 24 bit support).

• Thanks 1

• 4 months later...

Only five months late to this discussion, but I can report very good plug-n-play experience with both a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 and, more recently, a Steinberg UR44. They've been connected via USB and have talked to various editions of Ubuntu running Ardour versions 4 through 6 - no issues to date!

As has been alluded above, the only difficulty comes in with some newer editions which have software controls for some features (e.g., I think the newer Focusrites use it to switch inputs between mic- and line-level gain). There have been some attempts to port this control software, and some people report varying levels of success running the original Windows versions through WINE. But if you can control everything you need to from the device itself then you're laughing.

• Like 1