Why become a member? ×

High Quality Gig Bags for Medium Scale

tobiewharton

On 24/09/2023 at 15:05, tobiewharton said:

Anyone found quality single or double gig bags with neck cradles that properly fit medium scale basses? 

I've been searching for ages for the same thing. Looks like medium scale accessories are somewhat overlooked.

I have got round it by putting an extra 2" of foam in the bottom of a Mono Bass Sleeve I've got, from the days when I played 34's. Works perfectly but here's where Mono have missed a trick. There is already a foam block in the bottom of the bag. Covered in a velvet fabric and held in with Velcro. I emailed Mono to see if they made a thicker one for a medium scale bass. Answer inevitably was No. If they supplied the Bass Sleeve with 3 different thicknesses of foam, it could be used for 30/32/34/35 etc. instruments. They did suggest that the guitar version might work but there's nowhere locally I could try one.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Reviving this thread in case somebody has found one? 

I have a medium scale version of the Maruszczyk Elwood and they obviously gave up trying to source a medium scale bag, because it comes with a full size bag, leaving a few inches of spare at the top.

I have just ordered another 32” bass that doesn’t come with a bag and I am wondering what to use. I have a full size case but I tried it with the Maruszczyk and it rattled around inside it. I guess the body is marginally smaller than full scale as well.

Hoping somebody has found a medium scale bag, or case! Otherwise it’s full size with blocks of foam to take up the slack. Not very satisfactory.

• Thanks 1

I carry my 32" scale P around in a Gruv Gear Edge guitar-sized bag. Took me ages to find a likely candidate for a medium scale and eventually I got one cheap in a sale from Kytary. It's a one-shoulder design and the bass fits quite nicely, just. One of the detail pics in this link has the measurements...

https://gruvgear.com/products/gigblade-edge

It lacks a boot though so unless they're toughened up the Mk2 version I'm not sure I'd recommend it for the road or lots and lots of gigging. I use mine for regular guitar too and it's done me for about 2 years of lightish use, tube/bus to rehearsals and about 50+ gigs. 

Edited by KK Jale
  • Like 1

Thanks for the suggestions guys, I will check those out. 

I accidentally discovered that my Fender 610 SS bag will just about fit the Maruszczyk Elwood 32”. I never imagined it would fit, so didn’t try it before. However, quality isn’t great. It gives me hope for other SS bags though.

8 hours ago, tauzero said:

Guitarguitar do a wide selection of bags - might be worth visiting them if you have a branch near you.

Unfortunately we don’t have a branch in my neck of the woods. There is a PMT in Norwich but it’s not great for carrying bass related stock, although they will get stuff in for you if you ask.

I have a Protection Racket semi rigid bass gigbag/case, which is for full-size instruments - however, there are big internal pads which velcro to the inside of the case and with a bit of experimenting will hold my short scale mustang in place firmly without it moving around inside.

Sure there's a few inches spare at the headstock end, but the case is firm enough that it doesn't sag or bend so it's not a problem.

And they're really robust too - lighter than a Hiscox, but with shoulder straps etc and tougher than a standard gig bag.

• Like 1