Why become a member? ×

NPTBD: Enfield/Status perfection

Beedster

Newly put together bass day

Enfield Fusion I bought around a year back, to which I've added a Badass, J-Retro, and Status Graphite unlined Precision neck. It just works in a way that no bass I've owned before can claim to do. OK, it was a great bass with the original neck, but the recent addition of the Status has taken it to another level in terms of intonation, clarity, and tone.

I feel rather lucky to have this one!

DB0C163A-E952-4864-9CDC-A730386980F5_1_102_o.thumb.jpeg.6205254b78a452ab4d92c237bdb534da.jpeg

• Like 21

5 hours ago, Thump said:

That is a gorgeous looking bass!

Please excuse my ignorance but what do all the controls do?

image.thumb.png.611f7cde5444a96e2f8199a1442e8ca5.png

J-Retro controls are as above. The two switches above the control plate are the coil selectors for each PUP switching essentially between Jazz Bass (2 s single coil), Precision (2 x split coil) and Stingray (2 x humbucker) and any combination of those front and back PUPs. The Badass, J-Retro and graphite neck add a little audio emphasis to the PUP selection. 

• Like 2

If that’s the neck I once owned - and it could well be - it’s the finest long-scale fretless neck I’ve ever played (and that includes Wals, Fender Masterbuilt and plenty of other premium brands). Absolute stunner Chris. Pleased to see you’ve settled with that gorgeous Enfield body

Edited by three
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Beedster said:

image.thumb.png.611f7cde5444a96e2f8199a1442e8ca5.png

J-Retro controls are as above. The two switches above the control plate are the coil selectors for each PUP switching essentially between Jazz Bass (2 s single coil), Precision (2 x split coil) and Stingray (2 x humbucker) and any combination of those front and back PUPs. The Badass, J-Retro and graphite neck add a little audio emphasis to the PUP selection. 

Negative, that would be the J-tone, not the J-retro. This is the J-retro:

jretro_big_2.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, three said:

If that’s the neck I once owned - and it could well be - it’s the finest long-scale fretless neck I’ve ever played (and that includes Wals, Fender Masterbuilt and plenty of other premium brands). Absolute stunner Chris. Pleased to see you’ve settled with that gorgeous Enfield body

Hey mate, thanks for the post. I think we had a chat about these necks (and this bass) a while back, and yes, I'm very very glad I persisted with the Enfield, and especially that I held out for the neck that I knew would transform it; I tried a Status fretted Jazz neck on it but both the frets and the width/size didn't work for me. Something that really surprised me about the neck is that I am far more in tune, no doubt as the result of the virtuous acoustic cycle et up by small changes in how it feels to play resulting in small changes in the clarity of the note resulting in same change in my confidence in hitting the note. The Badass and J-Retro both added something incremental, the neck is. a step change.

I've made a lot f bad decisions around music gear over the years, this appears to be the good decision that makes up for them all 👍 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1