Why become a member? ×

Precision pickup for a Guild

kristo

I have a Guild Starfire 1 bass that I love, however I’ve begun to speculate over if a pickup/wiring upgrade would make it sound even better. I have a KiOgun loom I’m planning to get fitted as I imagine it’ll be an improvement on the current wiring, plus stock it has a push/pull volume pot that I never use. However, I was wondering if people would recommend changing the pickup too? I play old soul and funk so was looking at a Fender Custom Shop ‘62 pickup. Does anyone think it’ll make a big difference? Another consideration is the pickup can only really get to within 4mm of the strings when setting up, so would another pickup be better suited…. These are just thoughts so any input/advice would be helpful. Cheers. 

IMG_4215.png

• Like 1

Not familiar with the bass, or what you want out of it, but I’ll share my thoughts anyway!

A decent loom will open things right up, so see how that fares firstly.

A set of P pickups will likely be a different size, and any attempts to disguise that will look shite.

I’d suggest a nice set of flats (LaBella low tensions) and maybe try a block of foam under the strings by the bridge - thud it up a little.  Play closer to the neck and that , I assume, would get you closer to where I assume you might want to be.  Cheaper than a new set of pups, anyhoo.

• Like 2

Thanks for the replies. I'm pretty sure from reading the Guild forum that the pickups are standard precision size under the covers. Being fairly green to all of this, I did wonder if the loom would change much, so I'll probably get that done first and see how it goes. I'm using TI Jazz Flats (I tried Labellas too) to get closer to the sound I'm after. 

Edited by kristo

Sounds like you have it planned in the right order - the loom should make a big difference and that'd be the first thing I'd look at. I haven't played one, but a lot of the videos I've seen can get that old school thump, so I'm sure you can get that with a bit of eq'ing rather than needing new pups. Good to hear the pups are a standard size if you do want to replace them - I really like the chrome covers they have so your new set might just slide straight in.