Why become a member? ×

Bass amp and cab pairing?

AlexDemetriou

Hi guys, played bass in bands before but come from a guitarist background, currently in a reasonably established originals band. Played three gigs so far and managed on each occasion to borrow equipment or play through FOH. Very interested in the mark bass amps. I did pick up a mini combo amp from their range, but during rehearsal with a full PA set up, it just did not cut through the mix at all, and distorted whilst trying to push it. I’ve returned that now, I’ve done a bit more research,  and think I’ve got my head around it. Looking at these on fb marketplace. Leaning towards amp and cab over combo, Would these be a suitable pairing, for medium gigs, rehearsal etc. and have enough headroom. Love the tone of markbass, just wondering whether this pairing would match. 

IMG_0141.jpeg

IMG_0142.jpeg

• Like 1

Which mini cmd was it - they make a 1x10", a 1x12", and a 1x15"?

No doubt the GS 212 will sound great but having lugged wide, 30+kg cabs around in the past, it gets heavy very quickly and you will never quite fit through doorways - so it's a bit of a pain overall.  Two 1x12" cabinets would work a lot better.

If your budget is I guess around £600(?) then how about these which just appeared in the marketplace: https://www.basschat.co.uk/topic/483291-mark-bass-cmd-121h-traveller-121h/ (no affiliation with seller)?

in a band thats loud a small combo for me will always struggle, markbass stuff is great had a lm2 for years into a 610hlf ampeg and it was super loud! if your not worried about the weight that rig will be great tbh, for me im just in a place where i deal with moving larger cabs as for me they do just sound bigger.......

On 20/09/2023 at 12:54, AlexDemetriou said:

Hi guys, played bass in bands before but come from a guitarist background, currently in a reasonably established originals band. Played three gigs so far and managed on each occasion to borrow equipment or play through FOH. Very interested in the mark bass amps. I did pick up a mini combo amp from their range, but during rehearsal with a full PA set up, it just did not cut through the mix at all, and distorted whilst trying to push it. I’ve returned that now, I’ve done a bit more research,  and think I’ve got my head around it. Looking at these on fb marketplace. Leaning towards amp and cab over combo, Would these be a suitable pairing, for medium gigs, rehearsal etc. and have enough headroom. Love the tone of markbass, just wondering whether this pairing would match. 

IMG_0141.jpeg

IMG_0142.jpeg

Technically there shouldn't be any trouble matching these but I do notice two things:

The Amp is pictured on a workbench. Doesn't have to mean anything but could be that the seller has tinkered with it.

The settings on the amp are a recipe for low definition low end drone with both VLE and VPF at noon with the bass cranked. Furthermore it's going to disappoint in power with the gain set that low. Set it to where the Clip light just comes on when playing the loudest notes, then roll it back a tiny bit.

Maybe add a dollie (plank on wheels) for that cab like it's sitting on in the pic, if it's not sold with that included :)

Edited by Bolo

On 20/09/2023 at 11:54, AlexDemetriou said:

IMG_0141.jpeg

IMG_0142.jpeg

With caveats above, this should work well IMO. Good luck.