Why become a member? ×

Vintage Freak (semi-pro dealer) Poland

SurroundedByManatees

Today I again had been contacted by the person behind this online shop. As always communication was a bit weird as he tries to present himself as a private person looking for a sharp deal while I know he's a dealer.

I decided to do the Google his shop again and saw this not totally true claim on his website (it's presented as a company, but it's actually a one person shop afaik).

"All instruments and accessories on offer are handpicked by us in the USA, and then transported to Poland, where they are once again carefully checked by experts"

It's far from true. He sources many, many basses on the European bass-sites and marketplaces and has them shipped. They are not all from the us, and not handpicked. Why lie about this, I don't get it? It's so obvious as this guy is everywhere where a vintage Fender or Music Man is for sale.

I doubt the expert claim too tbh, given I've seen unmentioned exchanged parts on several occasions.

Also I had a weird personal experience with this seller.

I was looking for a 65/66 jazz at the time. And he said he had one that he was selling for a friend. I recognized the pictures he sent me from a reverb listing. He took that pictures and used them for his own potential business.

At that moment, this bass was for sale at a French store. When I contacted the store about this "friend", they didn't know what I was talking about.

So stupid, like there wasn't a chance that I have seen that bass on reverb myself.

I am aware that this rant is not really friendly. But imo when you want to play pro bass-shop, you can't just lie obviously and I think it's okay.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I know the guy too and he even asked me once to put a bass I was selling on hold, because "it was exactly what he was looking for": a Takamine TB-10 at a really fair price.

Of course, he never bought it...

So I totally understand your rant, especially as he kept contacting me each time I was selling something interesting, like you I guess.

I ended up blocking his phone and email.

He's just a one person company acting like a broker, looking for bargains, trying to make even more bargain reducing the price, then putting it for sale at impossible to sell in Poland (and almost elsewhere) prices, and as you noticed @SurroundedByManatees always lying about everything: such a shame.

• Like 1

He has contacted me at least 10 times in the past. Mostly on bassic, where I blocked him a good while ago.

In this last case he responded to my Sabre, asking for my best price (the ad clearly states that the price is fixed). He says he can get one cheaper but likes my sunburst better. BS of course, he already has a natural one listed on reverb at €3.300.

The prices of this guy are often ridiculous, but that doesn't bother me. They either sell or not. The systematic lying is a big nono in my book.

And he isn't knowledgeable too, the experts he talks about don't exist. He doesn't even recognize an obvious refret on a bound neck, a changed neckplate on a Fender where an engraving should be or a totally different bridge on a 66. And I've seen more of that stuff on "all original" listings in the past.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

He’s on reverb as vintage Freak and I think the site is vintage Freak.eu 

Mainly selling (well, trying too) through reverb and also lists on other sites under his private name. 

But tbh he has some nice stock...nice looking and recognizable pictures. He could well have a succesfull shop, while being open and honest.