Why become a member? ×

NMD AKA it's still low end, just not bass

Cat Burrito

For those of you that follow / contribute to the "How was your gig?" thread, you may be familiar with my old school mate and I mucking about with an 80s Goth duo, usually on unusual folk instruments. I think we're probably taking it a lot more seriously now, but it just feels like a laugh all the time. The band took off when Nick bought a mandocello and as of now, I have officially joined him! 

IMG_4739.jpg.0efcea5d686808b3e851a751ab406266.jpg

8 strings of low end goodness (tuned C G D A, if anyone is curious). We play differently as I'm really a bassist and he's really a guitarist so I am looking forward to a twin mandocello attack!

IMG_4740.jpg.e2c1ae8108d78751aa272e7e6ca913d0.jpg

It's not too heavy, well balanced and a beautiful instrument. I've always been impressed with Gold Tone's stuff.

IMG_4755.jpg.eb71eb26c2b9c7ec6fd637c304ad2291.jpg

And of course just screamingly good fun to play too (pic below is me playing Nick's one which is exactly the same, pinched from the "How was your gig" thread. 

0ffdb479-51fb-4efb-8696-8e47ac099ea9.thumb.jpg.c65ffff4140dc9d6cc73300b3886d584.jpg

• Like 15

18 hours ago, Len_derby said:

Great stuff. How did you find it, adapting to a new tuning across the strings?

During the lockdown, when gigs were off, I bought a mandolin off @thebrig. After fifty years of playing guitar and bass I found the change of tuning (GDAE) a brain-frying exercise, but challenging in a good way. 

Bass is my main instrument but I've played mandolin since 2005. Although tuned down from that, it's similar. It took me 30 years to fully appreciate the old cliche that the trick to everything is to practice. I get the occasional brain fog but if I have practiced the part, it's not an issue.

13 hours ago, itu said:

That looks fab, what's the scale length?

I believe it's 24 - 7/8ths. Although that's noticeably shorter than a bass, it's also noticeably longer than my mandolin so it's not really an issue.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...