Why become a member? ×

Have you ever been tempted to learn a song... just in case!

warwickhunt

On 02/09/2023 at 10:21, dmccombe7 said:

I did learn Stevie Wonder Superstition because i thought most bands wanted to do it and to this day i've never actually played it in a band. I have jammed it tho so that was good.

Also learned Alright Now by Free so i could play that at jam sessions but never in any band i've actually played with.

Not sure they count.

Dave

Depped it a couple of weeks ago (keyboard player only joined in on the brief choruses?!) 🙂 now the singer for the new band wants to do the Beck, Bogart, Appice version - good news is that basswise it's pretty much playing the keyboard part like we all do anyway!

• Like 1

On 02/09/2023 at 14:59, dmccombe7 said:

I used to think that until i realised i'm one of those guys that has a low retainer threshold. If i'm not playing it regularly then it goes completely out of memory only to be relearned from scratch much like the Glam Xmas songs i need to relearn every Nov. for the sake of 3-4 gigs a year.

The things we do for love. :biggrin:

I think there might be a song in there somewhere.

Dave

That's me as well could be an Age thing,or at least that's what i keep telling myself.

• Haha 1

I have an old war story that kind-of qualifies.

Was in the house band for a gig a few years back, where one of the guests was Trevor Horn. He was going to perform (of course) Radio Killed the Video Star, and it was all arranged that he was playing bass on it. I was gutted, but totally understood.

As he was only going to turn up on show-day, I was asked to learn the bones of it to help the band through rehearsal in the days beforehand. It was quite a complicated arrangement, but I thought I'd better nail it just in case / just for fun.

I'm glad I did... at the last minute he decided he just wanted to sing it, so I got to play it.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Mickyk said:

That's me as well could be an Age thing,or at least that's what i keep telling myself.

I've always been like that. I must have been old at 18 :laugh1:

I've always put it down to being an engineer. Focused on one problem until fixed and then moved on to the next. Constant problem after problem with no time to reflect on how it was done.

Dave