Why become a member? ×

At an open mic night last night…

Geek99

I feel your pain. 

I actively avoid my local open mic night (even though some my band mates organise it). 

Rather than the organisers, it seems some of the regulars have turned it into their own with certain ‘rules’ and ‘behaviours’. 

Really makes the non-folk guy feel uncomfortable. 

So I avoid. 

• Thanks 1

Think what I actually need is a jam night, and that means I have to learn red house, sweet home Chicago etc

at my old OM night myself and a local acoustic guitarist used to choose a random song, run it through twice in the corridor and then do it. That worked …

1 hour ago, Nothingman said:

I feel your pain. 

I actively avoid my local open mic night (even though some my band mates organise it). 

Rather than the organisers, it seems some of the regulars have turned it into their own with certain ‘rules’ and ‘behaviours’. 

Really makes the non-folk guy feel uncomfortable. 

So I avoid. 

Yeah, this is a real issue it seems. I’ve actually inherited a couple of open mics from sacked hosts because they’d allowed this exact situation to propagate. 
I’ve since given up hosting them, just too much hassle. 

I hear from a Facebook group that there is an OM night where “keyboards have been spotted, so maybe bass is fine” (tr: I’m less likely to get lynched for instrument based non conformity)

this Thursday at Stamford arms in groby, Leicestershire 

I shall report back 

Edited by Geek99
  • Like 1

On 28/08/2023 at 07:11, Nothingman said:

So I avoid

Me too!

I remember when I moved to this area 20+ years ago the local pub advertised a "jam night". I asked if there would be a bass amp, was told "no" but that amps were allowed.

You should have seen their faces when I wheeled in my enormous folded horn cab and Marshall bass amp. The pub was full of folkies with their penny whistles and twiddleytee music - I got to back one brave bloke strumming his own song on an acoustic guitar with no hint about what chords he was likely to play.

I never went back to the "jam", but did join the house band for the blues festival "open mic" where we backed singers or instrumentalists - we could do any song from any genre so long as it was strict 8 bar or 12 bar blues...

On 26/08/2023 at 20:28, Geek99 said:

He was asking if I “could play acoustic”, meaning six string but I thought since that taking an acoustic bass would totally f u ck him up. 

Not having a great deal of patience and given the poor volume of acoustic basses in general, I probably would have smashed it over his head. It might have even generated some applause!

• Haha 1

@ahpook I went to the bowling green, in Ashby de La zouche

it was raucous and wild. I didn’t play as I had to do shopping after (rock and roll!) but chatted to the house band and host. Found them

on a Facebook group called “open mics midlands” 
Host invited me to message him some choices so house band can do homework. Runs every two weeks on a Thursday. Said they have lots of guitarists and drummers but bass players are quite rare. One lady did a storming version of two Motown songs 

Edited by Geek99
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Geek99 said:

@ahpook I went to the bowling green, in Ashby de La zouche

it was raucous and wild. I didn’t play as I had to do shopping after (rock and roll!) but chatted to the house band and host. Found them

on a Facebook group called “open mics midlands” 
Host invited me to message him some choices so house band can do homework. Runs every two weeks on a Thursday. Said they have lots of guitarists and drummers but bass players are quite rare. One lady did a storming version of two Motown songs 

Get in !

That's awesome news, and it sounds properly organised.

Well chuffed for you.👍

See, in effect, you own that weird chap at the earlier open mic a favour... ;) :)

5 hours ago, ahpook said:

Get in !

That's awesome news, and it sounds properly organised.

Well chuffed for you.👍

See, in effect, you own that weird chap at the earlier open mic a favour... ;) :)

yes, I shall repay it through the medium of “baseball bat” artfully combined with location of “dark alley”. Or I could just sit in his empty “open mic (as long as it’s not a bass)” night and watch