Why become a member? ×

Electro Harmonix C9

Jase

I've not used this forum since 2012! First post in a while...

Has anybody used the Electro Harmonix C9 Organ Machine on bass with good results? Can't seem to find any decent YouTube reviews from bass players.

Is there another pedal available/specifically for bass so I can pretend I'm in Deep Purple, in my bedroom, living room, etc you get the idea ✌️😁

I owned a C9 for about a week but sold it on as it didn't trigger well for me. I've tried several pedals to get an organ sound from my bass, however the only one that has worked well enough to earn a place on my pedalboard is the Boss SY-1.

Here's a video where I'm doubling the bass line from my black JMJ Mustang bass with organ from the SY-1.

The SY-1 has a little switch on the back to switch it between guitar or bass.

Edited by Jean-Luc Pickguard

48 minutes ago, Jean-Luc Pickguard said:

I owned a C9 for about a week but sold it on as it didn't trigger well for me. I've tried several pedals to get an organ sound from my bass, however the only one that has worked well enough to earn a place on my pedalboard is the Boss SY-1.

Here's a video where I'm doubling the bass line from my black JMJ Mustang bass with organ from the SY-1.

The SY-1 has a little switch on the back to switch it between guitar or bass.

That's really effective! Nice one!

Didn't want to spend 200 odd quid and find the C9 doesn't quite cut it with bass. 

I use both a b and c 9 on bass with good results. I also have a mel9 (which i use in a different band)

The b and c get most use for hammond and pad sounds in deep purple and similar Classic rock songs with my covers band.

I found that running it inline and into my bass rig didn't quite sound right though.

I have rigged it slightly differently - I split my signal using the dry out from the 9s to the rest of my board, and send the line via an ABY switch to select which sound I'm using and then to a killswitch and DI box and straight to PA.

In - b9 keys out to ABY / dry out to c9 then split signal as before to rest of board from the dry out, and keys out to the other side of the ABY.

ABY - a in from b9 /b in from c9. Y to latching killswitch then to DI and Pa

I hope this makes sense - please feel free to make contact via PM if I can help further

+1 for the SY1. Only had it for a short period of time, and never used it live but i was mightily impressed with the organ sound and the tracking. Can't remember it doing that grindy hammond sound that Lord had, but i'm sure mixed with a few other pedals, you could come up with something!

On 21/08/2023 at 13:27, dudewheresmybass said:

I use both a b and c 9 on bass with good results. I also have a mel9 (which i use in a different band)

The b and c get most use for hammond and pad sounds in deep purple and similar Classic rock songs with my covers band.

I found that running it inline and into my bass rig didn't quite sound right though.

I have rigged it slightly differently - I split my signal using the dry out from the 9s to the rest of my board, and send the line via an ABY switch to select which sound I'm using and then to a killswitch and DI box and straight to PA.

In - b9 keys out to ABY / dry out to c9 then split signal as before to rest of board from the dry out, and keys out to the other side of the ABY.

ABY - a in from b9 /b in from c9. Y to latching killswitch then to DI and Pa

I hope this makes sense - please feel free to make contact via PM if I can help further

Thanks for this mate! Would love to hear the results, got any links?