Why become a member? ×

Odd earthing issue on Precision pickup

Steve Browning

Hi collective. I wonder if someone can point me in the right direction on a problem that has me stumped.

I am swapping out the pickup in my bitsa P-bass. I have a Lindy Fralin pickup that seems to have a earthing issue on the coil that has the white cable link to the other coil (which seems to have no issue) and then has the white cable to the volume pot. To give a complete picture, the cavity is completely lined with copper shielding tape.

I am struggling to figure out how one coil has this issue when the other doesn't, and they're linked at the tone pot anyway. It's a Kiogon loom and the bridge earth and pickup earth are joined at the block as instructed.

Any thoughts?

I am not sure what you mean here with the white cable to the other coil.

So you have two pickup pieces (actually two independent pickups), one connects to volume, one connects to earth somewhere and a cable connects the two together?

So which part of the pickup isn't working - did you try the output of just one part of the pickup pieces?

Just now, Woodinblack said:

I am not sure what you mean here with the white cable to the other coil.

So you have two pickup pieces (actually two independent pickups), one connects to volume, one connects to earth somewhere and a cable connects the two together?

So which part of the pickup isn't working - did you try the output of just one part of the pickup pieces?

Both parts of the pickup work. The one that connects to volume will hum when handled and the other one is silent. 

4 minutes ago, KiOgon said:

Do you have  multimeter? It's possible that the coil windings are shorting out.

What do you mean by; "and they're linked at the tone pot anyway"?

Cheerz, John

Well done. You spotted my deliberate mistake. The block is on the volume pot. 

I would presume the pickup wouldn't work if it was shorted. Silent was a poor term to use. 

I'll do a short video tomorrow and post it. I'm explaining it very badly. 

so the shielding isn't 'earthed' and the screw on the apparently noisy pickup is in contact with the shielding by the looks of it, nothing to do with the pickups, the screw isn't electrically connected to the pickup it's just holding the cover in place, the foam is isolating the back of the pickup from the shielding

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...