Why become a member? ×

What extension cab for Ashdown Studio 210?

Rubbersoul

As the title, I know I need 8 ohms but what wattage? The amp is rated as 300 watts so I’m thinking minimum 150 for the extension? I’m probably way off and there’s probably a simple calculation but I don’t know it and Ashdown doesn’t specify. TIA.  Pic for attention!

20230421_101538.jpeg

• Like 1

It isn't something I would need to use much so I'm thinking more of the used market and I'd be looking for a cheap 15 to complement the 210. As I said, it's really the power handling I'm interested as I don't want to put an 8 ohm cab on if it can't handle the power from the amp.

Bill Fitzmaurice has already given you the correct answer:

1 hour ago, Bill Fitzmaurice said:

The only sure match is another cab loaded with the same drivers.

Unless you rig is for personal monitoring only, in which case pretty much any modern cab will be fine.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rubbersoul said:

It I'd be looking for a cheap 15 to complement the 210.

The concept that a 15 complements a 210 is a myth. Sometimes it works OK, but not always by any means.

it's really the power handling I'm interested as I don't want to put an 8 ohm cab on if it can't handle the power from the amp.

The thermal power handling is moot. What matters is the mechanical power handling, a spec which unfortunately never makes it into the advertising. Doubling the driver count with identical drivers quadruples the effective mechanical power handling, while avoiding potential destructive phase interactions.

• Like 1

Just now, pbasspecial said:

59A163A8-8897-4C17-B4C0-68E19792C0E4.thumb.jpeg.8901468b35b2866f0a950397ded6389f.jpeg

Well, what I did was buy the carcass of a studio 12 from eBay. 
I turned it 90 degrees, moved the badge and feet so it pretty much matched width wise.
I think I probably have a non original speaker in it but they seem to work pretty well together. 

• Like 1