Why become a member? ×

Music 'Grades' - necessary?

Chris V.

Hey guys,

A few years ago when I lived in England I had a bass teacher who laid a lot of emphasis on Grades. He pushed quite hard to get me to do them but I kept turning him down because I didn't think I needed them.

Now that I'm older and wiser I'm wondering whether I should have taken up on the offer? More precisely I'm wondering if it actually [i]matters[/i]. Does anyone [i]care[/i] if I have a Grade 8, say? I want to be as practical as possible here and not waste my time (and money?) on something no one will ever want to see evidence for.

Thanks,
Chris

[quote name='The Funk' post='479396' date='May 4 2009, 10:18 PM']I don't care that you don't have a Grade 8. But how does that affect your progress in your career?

What are your career aspirations as far as bass is concerned?[/quote]

Oops, I made it seem like I would only be doing it so that I could show it off.

What I mean is, would it help me get gigs? Let's say if I applied to position in an already pretty well established band (gigs lined up, relatively good fan base), would they hire me over another guy because of my Grade 8?

Thanks.

I seriously doubt it. You'd get the gig on the basis of what you've done previously and how easily you slot in musically and socially. Grade 8 probably wouldn't impress or repulse them.

Do it if you want to do it - but I don't think the actual exam/qualification will be of any use in a non-classical setting.

[quote name='Chris V.' post='479392' date='May 4 2009, 09:14 PM']Hey guys,

A few years ago when I lived in England I had a bass teacher who laid a lot of emphasis on Grades. He pushed quite hard to get me to do them but I kept turning him down because I didn't think I needed them.

Now that I'm older and wiser I'm wondering whether I should have taken up on the offer? More precisely I'm wondering if it actually [i]matters[/i]. Does anyone [i]care[/i] if I have a Grade 8, say? I want to be as practical as possible here and not waste my time (and money?) on something no one will ever want to see evidence for.

Thanks,
Chris[/quote]

Are we talking about RGT/Rockschool grades?

I can imagine they would be a useful way of measuring progress and structuring practice for a lot of people, but they don't mean anything to anybody else. There's an argument that they're worth UCAS points for a limited number of subjects for college entry, but they're few and far between.

You will never, never be asked what grade you are in a real life situation.

[quote name='Chris V.' post='479426' date='May 4 2009, 09:35 PM']Oops, I made it seem like I would only be doing it so that I could show it off.

What I mean is, would it help me get gigs? Let's say if I applied to position in an already pretty well established band (gigs lined up, relatively good fan base), would they hire me over another guy because of my Grade 8?

Thanks.[/quote]

If I was advertising for a band member and got a phone call from somebody who said he was 'grade 8', it would probably go against them... I'd assume they hadn't played much outside of their bedroom.

If you want to go into a music degree course then grades might be required, but I wouldn't give anyone a gig on the strength of a grade, even if they were a Grade 99!!

There are a lot of players coming out of music colleges with certificates who I wouldn't give a gig to either. I would always prefer the seasoned gigging musician.

Yeah, I think for the whole grade thing it's gonna do sod-all to get you into a band (the only musos I've ever med who would hire someone on the basis of a grade were awful noodly prog-rockers - and they were sh*te). Experience, a good demo tape and the ability to impress at audition will always be more impressive to fellow musicians than grades. In fact, some might even be put off by a claim of having high grades.

For my money grades are not the be all and end all but worth doing (even if you just work through test papers without sitting exams) for the following reasons...

1) if you want to get onto a course it can help you get an interview etc - even if you can say i dont have the grades but my knowlede / playing is at a level comparable with grade 8. to do that you need to have at least worked through the syllabus a bit...
2) if you ever want to go into teaching its a useful benchmark so you dont have to say to potential employers / students "Im quite good, honest!"
3) Exposure to music/techniques outside of what you would normally listen to / practice can only be a good thing

I agree though, if i was putting a band together i couldnt give a monkeys whether applicants have grades. I'd liken it to learning to drive really... driving lessons teach you to pass a test rather than make you into a capable driver. Grades teach you to pass an exam rather than master your instrument

At this point i should add im about to go into teaching and have never done any grades! :-)

If you want to do an "academic" music course at uni (ie classical analysis oriented) the ABRSM theory grades are worth going through. Anything else I'd say it really doesn't matter- there's not enough of a consensus in "popular" music styles about the different graded exams to make them worthwhile IMO.

[quote name='velvetkevorkian' post='482543' date='May 7 2009, 10:47 PM']If you want to do an "academic" music course at uni (ie classical analysis oriented) the ABRSM theory grades are worth going through. Anything else I'd say it really doesn't matter- there's not enough of a consensus in "popular" music styles about the different graded exams to make them worthwhile IMO.[/quote]

Yep, the ABRSM grades are great. I did the clarinet grades and theory grades in the 1980s. Trinity and LCM also do classical grades that are as highly regarded.

I'd agree that theory grades are worth doing, they'll vastly improve your understanding of harmony, structure, melody, etc etc. In a popular beat combo context, its unlikely that the fact you have passed an exam is going to make you more attractive to potential bandmates. I've got ABRSM grade 8 theory and it taught me a lot but impresses nobody.

Practical exams are worth doing also, but I'm not familiar with the Rockschool type ones, just the classical ones.

Do it if you want to increase your knowledge and ability, not to add to your CV.

[quote name='Kirky' post='482929' date='May 8 2009, 01:53 PM']Do it if you want to increase your knowledge and ability, not to add to your CV.[/quote]
Yeah - and don't forget (especially with theory) it can be handy to have something that tells you've understand it correctly.