Why become a member? ×

Sink or swim 2 - more advice please!

Manwithvan

My problem isn’t the same as TheGreek’s, but it’s on similar lines. 
My improv band has been booked for a small, but established festival in September. It’s main themes are folk and indie, but they booked another improv band last year. They want us on the main stage which I think is great, as I never expected this band to play anything larger than a pub room.

Other players are more cautious and think we’d be better off in a marquee or even the church! Our line up is electric bass, viola, sax/clarinet, accordion, and bassoon so we aren’t rockers, but we are well practised and most of the time it gels nicely.

How can I persuade them to be bold and play the main stage?

• Like 1

The traditional additional inducement to play on a big stage in front of a big crowd is a wad of cash.

Maybe your bandmates are right and you are too niche for the main stage? Nobody wants to cause exodus.

You seem to think you can hold a crowd. You will have to convince them that is the case.

Thanks for the replies. I'm thinking I'll go with paddy109 (we'll be letting the organiser down, or at least causing them problems).

Hi JoeEvans, we're in Bristol and the festival is question is at Priston. I'll DM you just in case you'd like to be involved.

3 hours ago, paddy109 said:

Tell the band to have faith in the organisers of the festival and enjoys yourselves.

I agree in principle. The flip side of the above is that anxiety is not a positive creative force and you're an improv band about to accept what your band-mates are perceiving as an anxiety inducing gig?

That sounds like an awesome opportunity, and also I really like the sound of your line-up and modus operandi. 

Just tell them to get their big boy/girl pants on and carpe the living diem out of the situation. If it goes well then you were right all along and you can bask in the glory. If it doesn't then it's improv and you can pretend it did.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Manwithvan said:

Thanks for the replies. I'm thinking I'll go with paddy109 (we'll be letting the organiser down, or at least causing them problems).

Hi JoeEvans, we're in Bristol and the festival is question is at Priston. I'll DM you just in case you'd like to be involved.

Excellent - just up the road from me!

9 hours ago, Manwithvan said:

Me too! Knowing the Bristol music world we probably have mutual friends, or have been in a band together and forgotten about it, or both have the same ex-wife. 

Thanks for all the contributions, and enthusiasm for the project. I don't make great claims for our output, but I'm always amazed what we can achieve, considering all the effort in transcribing, arranging and practicing that goes into most bands. We are called Moon Street Associates and I've only recorded us for post-mortems. Our promo image shows us (or some people a bit younger than us) arguing about who's gonna play the toy drum. However someone did some video of our last gig, or we wouldn't have got the festival spot.

Sad to report I seem to have lost the argument about the stage, unless the organiser digs his heels in. Fingers crossed.

moon st associates logo.jpg

• Like 2