Why become a member? ×

**SOLD** Ampeg SVT 5 pro US made head – £370

peteb

I am selling my Ampeg SVT 5 pro hybrid (i.e. valve preamp) head, 1350 watts, dual channel (clean & overdrive) with an onboard octaver and compression

Please note that it has been toured (I bought it from the bass player from INME) so the casing is not pristine and that it does have the usual US Ampeg idiosyncrasies i.e. you need to let it warm up for 5 minutes before you can plug the speakers in and it also has a knob missing on the overdrive channel (that I don’t use so I haven’t got round to getting a replacement) – however, it works just fine (lots of compliments about the sound when I’ve gigged it), has that genuine SVT sound and is a very powerful amp suitable for pretty much any musical situation. I had it looked at by a professional amp tech when I got it and it’s basically a pro quality piece of kit.

I also have a 4u rack that I will be selling (it came from a PA / lighting company and is proper professional quality as you would expect). Again I just want the money I paid for it (£65), but if you take them both together I will do you a decent deal on the rack. I would prefer to ship in the rack obviously, just for piece of mind!

I would prefer to arrange a pick up if possible but I’m happy to ship at cost (although I have no idea how much that would be) – I’m open to any suggestions to keep the cost down.

Cheers – Pete

Edited by peteb

Re. the warming up issue - nature of the beast I'm afraid, from what I understand they all seem to do it!

Price you have to pay for the authentic punchy ampeg sound I suppose.....

Edited by peteb

[quote name='peteb' post='482886' date='May 8 2009, 01:05 PM']Bump for the weekend!

A couple of serious enquiries but no takers as of yet[/quote]

I'd love this if I could afford it! Selling my SVT3 Pro for the same price though so if I get takers, I'd buy this! Mines as new though, not been toured :)

But yes, I recommend interparcel, you can send heavy objects by courier for quite cheap, I got it down to 6.99

• 2 weeks later...

Been offered a good deal on some light weight gear and so need some funds quickly, hence a drop in price to £370

I also have a pro quality flight case available for an extra £50 if required

I can't get anything out of the Ampeg's I've tried.
Tonight I used an SVT-3 for the first time in a few months...Again, had to crank it A LOT to get any decent level and I tried anything.
How does this fare against the SVT-3?
Gotta admit...it looks more uber...Just asking for comparisons like as I can't crack it. :)

EDIT:

OMG how much wattage!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
LOL said head I used tonight is nothing on this!

Edited by Kongo

[quote name='Kongo' post='500498' date='May 29 2009, 01:10 AM']I can't get anything out of the Ampeg's I've tried.
Tonight I used an SVT-3 for the first time in a few months...Again, had to crank it A LOT to get any decent level and I tried anything.
How does this fare against the SVT-3?
Gotta admit...it looks more uber...Just asking for comparisons like as I can't crack it. :)

EDIT:

OMG how much wattage!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
LOL said head I used tonight is nothing on this![/quote]
Never owned an SVT 3 so I can't really say too much but from judging from mates who have had them I would say that the SVT 5 has the same basic sound but MUCH louder and therefore obviously more headroom

In addition it has the extra power amp options (dual separate power amps for true stereo or bi-amping, etc) if you need them as well as an overdrive channel and onboard compression and octaver effect

I've always used it bridged into a 6x10 cab - tend to think of it as an instant dug pinnock sound if you press both the ultra low & ultra low high boost buttons

Edited by peteb

[quote name='peteb' post='503124' date='Jun 1 2009, 05:59 PM']Never owned an SVT 3 so I can't really say too much but from judging from mates who have had them I would say that the SVT 5 has the same basic sound but MUCH louder and therefore obviously more headroom

In addition it has the extra power amp options (dual separate power amps for true stereo or bi-amping, etc) if you need them as well as an overdrive channel and onboard compression and octaver effect

I've always used it bridged into a 6x10 cab - tend to think of it as an instant dug pinnock sound if you press both the ultra low & ultra low high boost buttons[/quote]

Hmmm interesting...And that 1350Watts is genuine? Bloody hell is that mono? @ what ohms?
Problem with the SVT-3 was it was only pumping 275watts @ 8 ohms and the volume was only trickling in as I dialed it in...This is MUCH bigger and better.

[quote name='Kongo' post='503145' date='Jun 1 2009, 06:31 PM']Hmmm interesting...And that 1350Watts is genuine? Bloody hell is that mono? @ what ohms?
Problem with the SVT-3 was it was only pumping 275watts @ 8 ohms and the volume was only trickling in as I dialed it in...This is MUCH bigger and better.[/quote]
Never turned it anywhere near full for fear of blowing my very powerful SWR 6x10 cab - it is certainly very loud!

The 1350 watts is bridged mono @ 4 ohms

You can download the users guide from the Ampeg site if you want the technical details

[quote name='peteb' post='503210' date='Jun 1 2009, 07:26 PM']Never turned it anywhere near full for fear of blowing my very powerful SWR 6x10 cab - it is certainly very loud!

The 1350 watts is bridged mono @ 4 ohms

You can download the users guide from the Ampeg site if you want the technical details[/quote]

WOW!
Yeah LOL my 4x10" cab is rated @ 800 watts handling so I couldn;t either...but that's a good thing, if you can get away with 1/2 or less, headroom is plentiful.
The price, although I cannot afford right now is very fair...And I could want for nothing with headroom.
I'll have to consider this, providing it doesn't sell before hand. :)

EDIT: Read the stats and it's tasty!
So you can blend the distortion and clean tone together in a ratio kind of mix? That'll do nice for an experement.
OK, I'm personally sold...But it'll take a few weeks yet so good luck with the sale...If it's not gone consider me there!

Edited by Kongo

[quote name='Kongo' post='503145' date='Jun 1 2009, 06:31 PM']Problem with the SVT-3 was it was only pumping 275watts @ 8 ohms and the volume was only trickling in as I dialed it in...This is MUCH bigger and better.[/quote]

Love my SVT3, but it does suck at 8 ohms in a loud band situation, you need the full 4 ohm load to make it sing.

Open to any kind of trades for this'un Pete?

Mike

[quote name='mike257' post='503868' date='Jun 2 2009, 03:08 PM']Love my SVT3, but it does suck at 8 ohms in a loud band situation, you need the full 4 ohm load to make it sing.

Mike[/quote]

Yeah I was gonna jack it to the other cab in the room but that was a 4 ohm cab...with my 8 ohm cab would put me under the 4 ohm minimum.
Anything under 300 watts in a loud band situation sucks...Bet it's awesome @ 500 watts!

[quote name='mike257' post='503868' date='Jun 2 2009, 03:08 PM']Love my SVT3, but it does suck at 8 ohms in a loud band situation, you need the full 4 ohm load to make it sing.

Mike[/quote]
Sorry, no trades
Already bought it's replacement and need the money to pay for it!
Cheers - Pete

[quote name='Kongo' post='504012' date='Jun 2 2009, 05:20 PM']Yeah I was gonna jack it to the other cab in the room but that was a 4 ohm cab...with my 8 ohm cab would put me under the 4 ohm minimum.
Anything under 300 watts in a loud band situation sucks...Bet it's awesome @ 500 watts![/quote]

It is!! If there's a 4 ohm cab there, give it a go just with that. I use an SVT610 with it and it's monstrous!!

[quote name='peteb' post='504175' date='Jun 2 2009, 08:33 PM']Sorry, no trades
Already bought it's replacement and need the money to pay for it!
Cheers - Pete[/quote]

No worries mate, good luck with the sale!