Why become a member? ×

**SOLD** Ampeg SVT 5 pro US made head – £370

peteb

Sold to Mr Waynepunkdude – great bloke, everytime we spoke on the phone to confirm arrangements ended up chatting for well over half an hour about all things bass and many other things!

As regards to the warming up issue – when I first bought the amp I took it to a qualified amp tech mate of mine to check that it was OK and to see if he could sort out the start up problem. He said that the amp was generally fine but to fix the start up issue would be expensive unless he could get hold of a diagram (Ampeg do not make their schematics readily available). He also said that it was a problem that I could live with easily enough if I just let the amp warm up for 5 minutes before plugging in. I have to say that it was never an issue in all the gigs and rehearsals that I used it for.

I believe that Wayne sought advice about this from a company that used to distribute Ampeg and was told that it was a known problem that had something to do with the amp’s start up protection routine (I think that I’ve got that right). To fix it requires a factory repair, which of course would not be cheap (I believe that Wayne is considering it).

Obviously I let everyone know that it had this issue and reflected it in the price that I asked (£370 for an amp that I believe cost over £1.5k new). Equally I bought the amp for a very reasonable price, knowing of this issue and that the price I paid reflected this……

Cheers – Pete