Why become a member? ×

I've noticed that for some reason use of the metronome seems to be a real point of contention in the online bass community. This has always puzzled me as the benefits of a metronome are very clear for me to see. It's an invaluable aid to help when working on rhythms and time-keeping during practice sessions.

So I've made a video explaining the benefits of using a metronome and also to show you how to use one properly for practicing. 

If you want to develop your time keeping and work on more complicated rhythms then definitely check out this lesson. The metronome isn’t solely the answer to good groove but it’s a very useful aid. 

Find out more in my latest YouTube video.

• Like 2

I had a little electric korg (or whatever) type one that I didn't much care for the rather annoying sounds it made. 

I subsequently got, cheapo from a charity shop of all places, one of the old pyramid shape wind up ones, which I like and do actually use it sometimes... 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Waddo Soqable said:

I had a little electric korg (or whatever) type one that I didn't much care for the rather annoying sounds it made. 

I subsequently got, cheapo from a charity shop of all places, one of the old pyramid shape wind up ones, which I like and do actually use it sometimes... 

There are lots of free apps for devices that are pretty good. Some of the free apps even have drum sounds too. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, greghagger said:

There are lots of free apps for devices that are pretty good. Some of the free apps even have drum sounds too. 

I've got a few devices of course that have drums and "metronome" sounds, but in many ways I find if there's something I want to sort out with a metronome I prefer the simple traditional mechanical tic tock for some reason, it's  just me I expect 😁

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Waddo Soqable said:

I've got a few devices of course that have drums and "metronome" sounds, but in many ways I find if there's something I want to sort out with a metronome I prefer the simple traditional mechanical tic tock for some reason, it's  just me I expect 😁

I do still like the sound of the traditional ones too. We used to have a really old wooden one on top of the piano in the 80’s! 😀

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

Jeff Berlin would still disagree...

He is the most avid proponent against the use of metronone.

Strangely enough as he is otherwise also quite a proponent for old fashioned strict music theory teaching and practice.

Yes, that has always confused me about Jeff’s view on the metronome. He says bass players should learn like all other musicians using tried and tested methods but says not to use the metronome. Doesn’t seem to add up. 

• Like 1

On 18/07/2023 at 19:57, itu said:

[Pretty long time ago] "I hate that wooden box on top of my piano" (which I sold to get my Quantum 5 SPi). I learned to play in time playing with LPs, CCs, and CDs. And radio, too. It was more fun and natural.

I too was subjected to the ‘wooden box on top of the piano’! I do put my good sense of time down to those days though. 

• Like 1