Why become a member? ×

Anyone bought from Japan on eBay?

RikiB

30 minutes ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

@Paul S - I think you have some experience with buying from Japan as I seem to recall? Apologies if I’ve remembered incorrectly.

Yes, that's right Warren, although it was some years ago now and not via eBay.  I bought a Yamaha BB8000 via Danny aka Bass Hunter then 3 other medium scale jobs direct via Ishibashi.  At the time it was financially viable with a decent exchange rate plus it opened the door to models that were extremely hard to find over here.  The service and transactions were totally trouble free - the biggest drawback was Parcel Force dragging their feet but for a couple I went via DHL and it was a delight.  They informed you it was about to arrive and sent a proforma for the import duty etc to pay ahead of time.  I seem to recall one of the basses took just 3 days door to door from Tokyo.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Paul S said:

I seem to recall one of the basses took just 3 days door to door from Tokyo.

That’s very quick indeed. We so rarely hear about the excellent courier service received.

I used DHL to get a bass to Belgium fairly recently and it went door to door in less than 24 hrs.

• Like 2

On 13/07/2023 at 18:33, Steve Browning said:

I have bought from Ishibashi a couple of times. never had an issue.

Same here.

I'm not in the UK, but Ishibashi are a good company to deal with. Can't say the same about all ebay instrument sellers from Japan.

Edited by crazycloud
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, RikiB said:

There is Bass Japan Direct if you’ve heard of them? They do a Bass Hunter service for £80 🤔

+1 for Bass Japan Direct. I purchased an amazing Tokai Jazz Sound off him earlier this year and it was well-packaged, reasonably-priced and he calculated estimated additional costs for me for customs and the like. Really sound guy called Danny and well worth dealing with. It did get caught in Dutch customs too, funnily enough, maybe they have a thing for holding basses! 

• Like 1

I would fully expect that you'll sell to them at full price and you'll buy from them at full price. 

In general, tax sees transactions independently of each other. 

VAT and Duty are charged by HMRC and your p/x bass will be subject to import charges in Japan. 

• Thanks 1