Why become a member? ×

Will the inside of a 5 string J pickup usually fit into a 4 string neck J pickup cover?

Will the inside of a 5 string J pickup usually fit into a 4 string J neck pickup cover?

I am asking because I am not entirely happy with the stock J pickups of my 5 string Ibanez Mikro Bass, and both the stock bridge and neck J pickups/pickup cavities are the length of a standard 4 string neck pickup, but with the screw mounting ears on both being located where they would normally be on a regular 4 string bridge J pickup.

So I figure if the inside of a regular 5 string J pickup, that is the actual pickup, would fit into the existing stock pickup covers I wouldn't have to worry about neither having to mod the new pickup covers or having to do additional routing to make the new pickups fit into the existing pickup cavities. 

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

• Baloney Balderdash changed the title to Will the inside of a 5 string J pickup usually fit into a 4 string neck J pickup cover?
10 minutes ago, ahpook said:

If you could find a  5-string jazz pickup narrow enough to fit I see no problem.

That would be the stock covers?

So the inside of regular 5 string J pickups will usually fit inside covers the size of regular 4 string J pickups?

I am not sure I understand your reply, and how exactly it answers my question?

If your answer simply means "if it fits inside the covers it will fit" then I figured as much myself already. ;)

2 minutes ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

That would be the stock covers?

So the inside of regular 5 string pickups will usually fit inside?

I am not sure I understand your reply, and how exactly it answers my question?

In my experience, 5-string jazz bass pickups are usually wider as they have to accommodate the extra string - to fit a 5-string pickup in a 4-string housing you'd need to find a that was the same dimensions...not something I've come across.

Have you a replacement pickup in mind ?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ahpook said:

In my experience, 5-string jazz bass pickups are usually wider as they have to accommodate the extra string - to fit a 5-string pickup in a 4-string housing you'd need to find a that was the same dimensions...not something I've come across.

Have you a replacement pickup in mind ?

Well, I kind of needed to know which would fit before it would make sense to look for one.

I figure then my best option would probably be to find a 4 string blade/rail J pickup, just not a lot of those on the market.

Any suggestions for such?

Just now, Baloney Balderdash said:

Well, I kind of needed to know which would fit before it would make sense to look for one.

I figure then my best option is finding blade/rail J pickup, just not a lot of those on the market.

Any suggestions for such?

The only '5-string in a 4-string' pickups I know of are EMG, but they're soapbars so not really what you're after.

None other spring to mind

51 minutes ago, Supernaut said:

5 string neck on a 4 string body? 

42 minutes ago, ahpook said:

I strongly suspect the same.

Well, yes, the body of the 5 string Ibanez GSRM25 Mirko Bass is that same size as the body on the 4 string GSRM20 Mikro Bass, but I don't see what that has to do with anything?

The neck and neck pocket is obviously wider on the 5 string Mikro Bass, but it also features 2 J pickups, whereas the 4 string Mikro Bass feature a neck P pickup and a J bridge pickup, and not located in the exact same spots either.

12 minutes ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

Well, yes, the body of the 5 string Ibanez GSRM25 Mirko Bass is that same size as the body on the 4 string GSRM20 Mikro Bass, but I don't see what that has to do with anything?

The neck and neck pocket is obviously wider on the 5 string Mikro Bass, but it also features 2 J pickups, whereas the 4 string Mikro Bass feature a neck P pickup and a J bridge pickup, and not located in the exact same spots either.

4-string pickups on a 5-string bass is unusual, I think we're just chewing that over.

32 minutes ago, ahpook said:

4-string pickups on a 5-string bass is unusual, I think we're just chewing that over.

It is 5 string pickups, they are just the same size as 4 string J pickups, or that is the length of a normal 4 string neck J pickup, but with the screw mounting ears in the same position as of a normal 4 string bridge J pickup, as I wrote in the OP.

But yes, strange why Ibanez chose to use completely non standard dimensions for these pickups.

11 minutes ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

It is 5 string pickups, they are just the same size as 4 string J pickups, or that is the length of a normal 4 string neck J pickup, but with the screw mounting ears in the same position as of a normal 4 string bridge J pickup, as I wrote in the OP.

But yes, strange why Ibanez chose to use completely non standard dimensions for these pickups.

Are they not even standard 4-string J-sized ? Odd.