Why become a member? ×

Needles and Pins(not the song)

Mickyk

Been practising and playing quite heavily recently in fact i was at it until 1 am this morning, somewhere  the region of 8 hrs playing trying to learn a set list for a 60s rock n Roll outfit I'm about to be part of.Anyway woke up in night with Pins n Needles in both Hands.Never had this before,Anyone one else had it ?

19 minutes ago, Mickyk said:

Been practising and playing quite heavily recently in fact i was at it until 1 am this morning, somewhere  the region of 8 hrs playing trying to learn a set list for a 60s rock n Roll outfit I'm about to be part of.Anyway woke up in night with Pins n Needles in both Hands.Never had this before,Anyone one else had it ?

Your hands are telling you something. Listen to your hands.

It's longer-term counter-productive to 'binge' in this way. Play for a while (a couple of hours is fine...), then rest (go for a walk, make a cuppa, read through the set list...) for half an hour or so, then back to practising. Slow is the new Fast, and is the quickest way of getting things done. :rWNVV2D:

• Like 2

Do you clench on your sleep? Your hands that is...

I often find when I've been gigging or when I'm stressed about (or focussed on) something I clench my fists when I sleep and often wake up feeling like I've been fighting. It could be something as simple as that, or certainly a contributing factor. 

That said, eight hours a day practice on a regular basis is quite a lot. It might be worth going for quality over quantity for a while. 

I used to get this a few years ago. Started wearing compression gloves after shows and it helped.

No idea what caused it but I noticed recently that it hasn’t happened once since I stopped working in an office and sitting at a computer all day.

• Like 1

Of course doing something stressful with your hands can indeed cause this kind of thing, I've done a lot of quite violent stuff with them over the years, bashing things with big hammers, using hefty powered tools and all manner of stuff that can inevitably be a bit damaging. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Old Horse Murphy said:

Do you clench on your sleep? Your hands that is...

I often find when I've been gigging or when I'm stressed about (or focussed on) something I clench my fists when I sleep and often wake up feeling like I've been fighting. It could be something as simple as that, or certainly a contributing factor. 

That said, eight hours a day practice on a regular basis is quite a lot. It might be worth going for quality over quantity for a while. 

Do you clench on your sleep? Your hands that is...Not that i'm aware of,unless the trouble and strife has noticed anything.

19 minutes ago, Waddo Soqable said:

Of course doing something stressful with your hands can indeed cause this kind of thing, I've done a lot of quite violent stuff with them over the years, bashing things with big hammers, using hefty powered tools and all manner of stuff that can inevitably be a bit damaging. 

I get that, i was a Coal  Miner for 12 odd years late 70s and into the 80s and  used to get all sorts of aches and pains,in my hands.If was still doing a Job like that now I don't think i'd be able to play the Bass guitar

• Like 1