Why become a member? ×

Have I killed my cab ?, I've only myself to blame

spencer.b

Gig yesterday, horrible load in so I took my little EA wizzy 10 thinking I'd let the PA do the heavy lifting, PA was awful so just used the amp , I normally use the wizzy for double bass and this was on electric, used a powerful head and turned up and up and in the last song it stopped working completely, head is fine , what do you guys reckon is wrong with it?

Most likely you have toasted the driver. Possible loose connection. 

Optional recone / replace / reconnect.

You might want to have a look at the crossover if it has one.

Golden rule for getting loud: turn up until it's not hardly getting any louder and turn it back down a smidge.

If that's not loud enough, tough. You can take out some low bass and try again but beware of it getting quieter all by itself. That means it's overheating, probably what you did.

• Thanks 1

You can take the driver out and test it with a 9v battery on the the leads. It will either pop or just sit there. That's what I would do only because I am pretty confident from your description of how it went down that it's toast.

Popping in a replacement is then the opposite of taking out the busted one.

If it does pop you have some more investigating to do but I am betting it won't.

If there is a jack panel you can take off that could be a better 1st move. Be on the lookout for burnt smells. It might save you from having to remove the driver if you find a lost connection.

• Thanks 1

Taken it apart, yep as you said speaker is toast , melted coil or something like that I reckon, think I might just get a new speaker not the proper one though at £300 and messing about with import duty etc, found a faital pr10pr310 on eBay for about £130 , 

Edited by spencer.b

8 hours ago, spencer.b said:

Taken it apart, yep as you said speaker is toast , melted coil or something like that I reckon, think I might just get a new speaker not the proper one though at £300 and messing about with import duty etc, found a faital pr10pr310 on eBay for about £130 , 

I am not really qualified to be spouting about this on a public forum. This has never stopped me. 

I am sure that the Faital is a fine, fine driver. If it is expecting to see an enclosure which is a different size from the EA then you are likely to be dissapointed. 

Thiele small blah blah resonanace blah blah loading blah blah. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Owen said:

I am not really qualified to be spouting about this on a public forum. This has never stopped me. 

I am sure that the Faital is a fine, fine driver. If it is expecting to see an enclosure which is a different size from the EA then you are likely to be dissapointed. 

This 100%. 

Drivers need to be in cabs that are designed to suit them. Maybe better to measure the internal dimensions of the cab and ask the clever folk who designed the Basschat DIY can for some advice on a suitable replacement driver.

44 minutes ago, Owen said:

I'm sure you're right but the proprietory driver is more than the cab's worth and I had thought I'd just take my chances with the highest spec speaker at a good price and I found someone using a faital in a wizzy on talkbass , but if anyone has any recommendations for a wizzy 10" alternative I'm all ears

37 minutes ago, mrtcat said:

This 100%. 

Drivers need to be in cabs that are designed to suit them. Maybe better to measure the internal dimensions of the cab and ask the clever folk who designed the Basschat DIY can for some advice on a suitable replacement driver.

Do you have a username for those guys?

Thanks 

3 minutes ago, spencer.b said:

I'm sure you're right but the proprietory driver is more than the cab's worth and I had thought I'd just take my chances with the highest spec speaker at a good price and I found someone using a faital in a wizzy on talkbass , but if anyone has any recommendations for a wizzy 10" alternative I'm all ears

The faital might actually work. But be aware that equally you would screw it all in and find that it was not the cab you remember. 

There are some very knowledgeable types over on the amps and cabs section who could probably give you advice on viable replacement drivers. They may turn up here, but worth putting a 'what replacement driver for my EA Wizzy' thread on there.

3 hours ago, Owen said:

Thiele small

I think it's more actual 'blah blah' as it's some weird cab design inside according to the blurb.

The proper driver is 197USD plus shipping plus VAT when it lands but you might get it less for it being exported so no US state sales tax. I think I might have done the conversion the wrong way last night.

Closer to 200 quid to your door? That's what I would do.

There's a talkbass thread about using another Eminence 10 with a crossover and compression driver to get same enough sound but a lot of shagging around and probably cost same.

8 hours ago, Downunderwonder said:

I think it's more actual 'blah blah' as it's some weird cab design inside according to the blurb.

The proper driver is 197USD plus shipping plus VAT when it lands but you might get it less for it being exported so no US state sales tax. I think I might have done the conversion the wrong way last night.

Closer to 200 quid to your door? That's what I would do.

There's a talkbass thread about using another Eminence 10 with a crossover and compression driver to get same enough sound but a lot of shagging around and probably cost same.

Just saw this when I tried to look at shipping!

Due to recent Brexit-related changes, we require a minimum order of $275 (USD) to countries within the United Kingdom/Great Britain. Shipping options will not appear in your cart until you exceed that amount.

!!!

I'm not sure but I think US sales tax isn't on that price so I'd be hit with Vat and import duty when it got here so your original estimate of £300 isn't far off ??

Think I might just bin it now tbh 😞

1 hour ago, spencer.b said:

Just saw this when I tried to look at shipping!

Due to recent Brexit-related changes, we require a minimum order of $275 (USD) to countries within the United Kingdom/Great Britain. Shipping options will not appear in your cart until you exceed that amount.

!!!

I'm not sure but I think US sales tax isn't on that price so I'd be hit with Vat and import duty when it got here so your original estimate of £300 isn't far off ??

Think I might just bin it now tbh 😞

Have you tried Wembley Loudspeakers yet?

• Thanks 1