Why become a member? ×

PBass with stainless roundwounds

BassAdder60

Yes - DR Hi Beams for me. Love the sound of them. They are round core so are a little more flexible than hex cores, and the wrap wires seem smaller than others so I get less finger noise.

I've never really liked nickel rounds but recently I developed a nickel allergy so I can't use them anyway - I miss TI flats a great deal.

The Hi Beams just sound ace. Nice and clanky with the tone up full, and nice and dull with it down, but still with a tiny edge to it.

32 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

Yes - DR Hi Beams for me. Love the sound of them. They are round core so are a little more flexible than hex cores, and the wrap wires seem smaller than others so I get less finger noise.

I've never really liked nickel rounds but recently I developed a nickel allergy so I can't use them anyway - I miss TI flats a great deal.

The Hi Beams just sound ace. Nice and clanky with the tone up full, and nice and dull with it down, but still with a tiny edge to it.

I tried Hi Beams but it seems they don’t like Eb tuning ?? 

Took them off and sold them 

Yup, Elixirs at present but used to be Warwick Reds and Rotosounds before them. I use steels as the sound is sharper and has greater clarity, offsetting against the natural warmth of the Precision (and Mustang as that’s my current bass). On a Jazz it’s the reverse, I favour nickels to add some warmth in.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, BassAdder60 said:

I tried Hi Beams but it seems they don’t like Eb tuning ?? 

Took them off and sold them 

Go up a gauge then. They do a 50-110 set.

I use the 45-105 on a short scale and really like them, and 40-100 on my 34 scale instruments.

10 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

Go up a gauge then. They do a 50-110 set.

I use the 45-105 on a short scale and really like them, and 40-100 on my 34 scale instruments.

I guess they must have less tension as I use std 45-105 gauge from other brands and they work well at Eb tuning 

• Like 1

Ok folks .. so I tried a set of Elites Stadium stainless rounds 45-105 in my PBass and they were terrible !! Too harsh and too many overtones 

I’m back with Fender 7250m NP strings ( stock on most Fenders ) and I’m ok with them .. 

I have tried also Fender 7150 Pure Nickel in 45-100 ( higher tension than NP strings ) and very nice but less mids and warmer sound.