Why become a member? ×

Dedicated Power Amp for Jule Amps Monique?

Guest Gabriel1918

Guest Gabriel1918

I'm looking for a power amp that will work well with the Jule Amps Monique preamp (on order).  I know the obvious answer is a Jule Amps M700, and that's what I was after.  But after an awful experience this week with the only UK dealer I know who sells Jule Amps gear (in London) I no longer want to deal with them.  They've mucked me about so many times now that I've had three separate refunds due to misadvertised, mispriced listings on their website.  So whilst I search for an M700 on the used market, I'm open to suggestions on alternatives.  I know some people have used a Demeter 800D Minnie, but I've heard mixed reviews, with the preference trending towards the M700 over the Demeter.  Any suggestions welcome, especially from firsthand users of Jules/ Demeter....

Edited by Gabriel1918
title change

A decent power amp in the form you are looking for will cost the same as a really good power amp bolted onto the back of an RCF745 or even an RCF945. Just thinking out loud here. Or a Quilter Bass Block and plug into the FX return.

I like this discussion.

Guest Gabriel1918

Thanks guys.  I'm also wondering if anyone knows of a small tube/ valve based power amp that might go well with the Monique.

Guest Gabriel1918
1 hour ago, Owen said:

A decent power amp in the form you are looking for will cost the same as a really good power amp bolted onto the back of an RCF745 or even an RCF945. Just thinking out loud here. Or a Quilter Bass Block and plug into the FX return.

I like this discussion.

Thanks Owen.  Haven't had any experience of the Quilter https://www.wembleymusiccentre.com/quilter-bass-block-800-bass-guitar-amp-head.html Is this a power amp or integrated?

It is integrated, but half a QSC stereo power amp. It might seem counterintuative to use a full amp, but the power stage is good and it is way cheaper than a dedicated no rack power amp would be. Have you asked on the Monique TB thread?

Guest Gabriel1918
28 minutes ago, Owen said:

It is integrated, but half a QSC stereo power amp. It might seem counterintuative to use a full amp, but the power stage is good and it is way cheaper than a dedicated no rack power amp would be. Have you asked on the Monique TB thread?

Thanks Owen.  No haven't been on Talkbass for a long time.  I looked at a discussion on the M700 v Demeter 800D Minnie and the consensus seemed to be towards the M700.  Agreed that independent power amps versus integrated amps seem much more expensive for what they are.  I have an Aguilar Tone Hammer 500 that I can use but thought it might be good to have something dedicated.  Do you have any experience of the Demeter 800D?

Edited by Gabriel1918

I’ve been using a Monique for around 18 months. The best pairing to my ears is undoubtedly with the power section of an Agi DB750 - all the width, depth and dynamics are there. However, there’s an obvious drawback in terms of physical weight. The least pleasant pairing was with a Wayne Jones powered 110, but I’m pretty sure that’s down to the cabinet design. I’m not massively keen on playing through studio monitors and that’s sort of what you get with the WJs. Another very nice pairing, though well short of the Agi with critical listening, is with a GSS Baby Sumo. Super light, fast, accurate and reasonably priced. I also use a Warwick Hellborg stereo power amp but haven’t had the pleasure yet with the Monique. Knowing the Hellborg quite well, I suspect the pairing would be excellent. Problem is, I can hardly lift the Hellborg (the weight is nuts). I’d honestly be thinking class A/B with the Monique if feasible. Good luck - some excellent suggestions above

Edited by three

Guest Gabriel1918

Excellent suggestions guys.  I'll look into those.  Seems that in the absence of being able to get my hands on an M700, then an integrated amp may suffice.

Guest Gabriel1918
49 minutes ago, three said:

Bypassing the front-end of an integrated has worked very well for me - if you have an Agi TH500, I'd try that before spending on a dedicated power amp.

Thanks three.  I was thinking the same.  I've also been looking at the Aguilar DB750/ 751 too and I have a good feeling about that, so thank you again for your suggestions.   Do you know offhand if they are Class D or A/B?

Just now, Gabriel1918 said:

Thanks three.  I was thinking the same.  I've also been looking at the Aguilar DB750/ 751 too and I have a good feeling about that, so thank you again for your suggestions.   Do you know offhand if they are Class D or A/B?

No problem - both the DB750 and 751 are class A/B.  As a result, they're pretty monstrously heavy.  As far as I know, the power section is very similar in both and each weighs in the region of 42lbs (though frankly, the 750 feels a little heavier to me).  

Guest Gabriel1918
11 minutes ago, three said:

No problem - both the DB750 and 751 are class A/B.  As a result, they're pretty monstrously heavy.  As far as I know, the power section is very similar in both and each weighs in the region of 42lbs (though frankly, the 750 feels a little heavier to me).  

Thanks three.  Sounds good.  Are you running your Monique into the return socket of your effects loop then?

Edited by Gabriel1918

33 minutes ago, Gabriel1918 said:

Thanks three.  Sounds good.  Are you running your Monique into the return socket of your effects loop then?

There’s a power amp ‘in’ on the back of a 750. Not sure about the 751 - I’ll take a look

Guest Gabriel1918
11 hours ago, BassmanPaul said:

Why not just pick up a Class D stereo power amp? It'll give you all the power you'll ever need. :)

The M700 is Class D.  Just haven't been able to find one in the UK.  My existing Aguilar TH500 may well be fine with the Monique when it arrives.  So, just looking around for other options and what other Monique users are finding a good combination.

Guest Gabriel1918
4 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

Looks like the Bassgallery have a Jule Amps M700 Power Amplifier up for £1200 , maybe a bit overpriced?

They had that M700 listed as new at the start of the week, using a stock manufacturer's image.  I bought it, then they told me days later it was secondhand and that if I wanted a new one I'd have to send them an extra £300, with a 3 month wait.  They did the same with the Monique.  I bought it thinking it was available then they told me it wasn't in stock and that if I wanted one I'd need to send them another £100 on top of the £1550 they'd taken off my card.  Three refunds later.....That's why I won't use the Bass Gallery again.

3 minutes ago, Gabriel1918 said:

They had that M700 listed as new at the start of the week, using a stock manufacturer's image.  I bought it, then they told me days later it was secondhand and that if I wanted a new one I'd have to send them an extra £300, with a 3 month wait.  They did the same with the Monique.  I bought it thinking it was available then they told me it wasn't in stock and that if I wanted one I'd need to send them another £100 on top of the £1550 they'd taken off my card.  Three refunds later.....That's why I won't use the Bass Gallery again.

Ah that’s not good, I was just having a quick look around for you and that one came up 

Guest Gabriel1918
Just now, Reggaebass said:

Ah that’s not good, I was just having a quick look around for you and that one came up 

Thank you.  I appreciate it.