Why become a member? ×

got a new pickup

Just got a K&K Bassmax, tried it in the wingslot, was a reasonable fit but very slightly loose and plugged it straight into my Markbass combo, instant good sound, this was in my bedroom, may be a while before i get to use it in a proper setting and need to experiment with the fit, but looks promising, Jez.

Plenty of players seem to think highly of the K&K. I had a similar problem with fit on the bridge wings with my Shadow. I used some thin card and now have a good fit and great sound. Others recommend using some thin shims of wood. All I can say is I get a great sound with the card I used.

I've got a Bassmax too. Quite happy with the sound but I've also got an Underwood that I haven't tried out yet. Will test and post results.

I read that the wooden card that comes in a cigar tube was good for padding out the slot. Worth a try and you get to smoke a nice cigar too!

[quote name='ardi100' post='480624' date='May 6 2009, 07:49 AM']I've got a Bassmax too. Quite happy with the sound but I've also got an Underwood that I haven't tried out yet. Will test and post results.

I read that the wooden card that comes in a cigar tube was good for padding out the slot. Worth a try and you get to smoke a nice cigar too![/quote]

If you decide that you don't like the Underwood I'd be interested in it.

• 1 month later...

done a couple of rehearsals and a gig with the Bassmax plugged straight into my markbass combo, getting a decent sound not to far away from the acoustic sound with the following settings, gain at 9 oclock, low at 9 oclock, low/mid at 9 oclock, high/mid at 12 oclock and high at 1 oclock, this is with the combo off the floor and not playing with a drummer, just piano/sax/guitar, cheers, Jez

• 3 weeks later...

update on K&K bassmax, have used with quite loud blues band and doesnt sound as good at volume, definetly sounds more natural at lower volumes though using it through my Markbass combo may not be the best thing to play through though probably better than most bass guitar amps, have just won today on ebay a fishman pro eq platinum bass pre amp so will report when i get it and see what difference it makes, Jez