Why become a member? ×

Fagan's 'Night Fly' bass line????

bubinga5

Donalds 'Night Fly'

Can anyone explain the bass notes in this song, in relation to the main chord progression.. I may be wrong but is Miller using Inversions alot...He seems to at the start of the song...

Can anyone explain in simple talk??

I love Miller's playing in this by the way, its one of his best IMHO...... bloody awsome that guy is!!!!!!

• 1 month later...

Doesn't even sound like MM to me, More AJ or Abe Laboriel..could be wrong of course and am willing to be corrected.....So far as the tune goes the notes are virtually all roots!! It's what you play inbetween those roots that makes for interesting music..Intro changes = Am9 - Bm11 - Cmaj7 - Em7 - D - F6/9 - B7 - G6/9 - C9 - Am7 - Daug add9.

Edited by Beneath It All

Abraham Laboriel told me about this record. Bass parts were played by several players and edited and compiled to one bass track. The credits on the CD name one player for each track which isn't quite complete...this record costed millions of dollars to make and it's so smooth and perfected I really don't like to listen to it...I gave away my copy...

[quote name='JanSpeeltBas' post='515807' date='Jun 16 2009, 10:10 PM']Abraham Laboriel told me about this record. Bass parts were played by several players and edited and compiled to one bass track. The credits on the CD name one player for each track which isn't quite complete...this record costed millions of dollars to make and it's so smooth and perfected I really don't like to listen to it...I gave away my copy...[/quote]
Your thinking about it to much..Its a brilliantly crafted album..and a joy to listen to.....IMHO

Edited by bubinga5

[quote name='bubinga5' post='515814' date='Jun 16 2009, 10:17 PM']Your thinking about it to much..Its a brilliantly crafted album..and a joy to listen to.....IMHO[/quote]

+1

Millions of $s?
I knew it was gonna be a strange day today when a pig flew past and delivered the post.

Garry

[quote name='lowdown' post='515821' date='Jun 16 2009, 11:22 PM']+1

Millions of $s?
I knew it was gonna be a strange day today when a pig flew past and delivered the post.

Garry[/quote]

Pigs flying? Interesting. Laboriel told this story: after many months and paying more than a million dollars of studiotime, musicians etc the record company asked Fagan when the record would be ready - when in fact he had only recorded three tracks...

A favorite vid of mine.. Fagan and Brecker.......Just amazing.......

Cant remember the bassists name now but he plays ESP basses...Just remembered its Tom Barney..

Love it!!!!

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylr2D4Pwn58"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylr2D4Pwn58[/url]

Edited by bubinga5

[quote name='JanSpeeltBas' post='515858' date='Jun 16 2009, 10:43 PM']Pigs flying? Interesting. Laboriel told this story: after many months and paying more than a million dollars of studiotime, musicians etc the record company asked Fagan when the record would be ready - when in fact he had only recorded three tracks...[/quote]

It's well documented that both Fagen and Becker are notorious for attention to detail, even down to mixing the contributions of various drummers on the same track. I mean, even taking the snare of one drummer, the bass drum of another, and the high hat of another, and combining them whilst excluding other elements of their drum kits, to finish the track.

There is a video of Chuck Rainey somewhere, when he is casting some extremely disparaging remarks about Fagen and his approach in the recording process. He may have been "doing a wind up" but from what I recall, it didn't sound like it.

It's such a shame that Fagen, being a brilliant songwriter, is losing his vocal range/ability (not that it was his strong point in the first place) as can be heard in some of his live recordings on Youtube.

They certainly recruited some of the best musicians and bass players that would fit their genre, and to me, Tom Barney has to rank somewhere near the top.

But Carolyn Leonhart (the best singer they have employed in the back line) has to be the best "member" of all time to watch :)

Yes, she's the one in the red trousers :brow:

And just how musical is the solo by Jon Hetherington the guitarist? Pass the tissues..............

Edited by rslaing

[quote name='jakesbass' post='515900' date='Jun 16 2009, 11:17 PM']Funnily enough of all the great bass players they have (both Becker and Fagen) employed over the years, the one that I always think does the utmost perfect job for the track is Walter becker himself eg Hey Nineteen, Blues Beach lots on Kamakiriad. He is a great bass player in my view.[/quote]

Agreed, he plays some very melodic and memorable lines.

[quote name='steve-soar' post='515939' date='Jun 16 2009, 11:44 PM']Chill dude, it was the 80's.
Digital all the way. :)[/quote]

Ah, that'll be digital before they worked out how to make it sound good then. :rolleyes:

Not that I'm some sound obsessed speaker designing audiophile weirdo or anything...

Alex

[quote name='alexclaber' post='515944' date='Jun 16 2009, 11:48 PM']Ah, that'll be digital before they worked out how to make it sound good then. :)

Not that I'm some sound obsessed speaker designing audiophile weirdo or anything...

Alex[/quote]

It think it was supposed to be the ideal reference CD at the time,
Because of the pristine sound [of that time]

Garry

[quote name='alexclaber' post='515944' date='Jun 16 2009, 11:48 PM']Ah, that'll be digital before they worked out how to make it sound good then. :)

Alex[/quote]
Correct. It's an extremely articulate album but it don't swing, Dadd-e-o.