Why become a member? ×

NBD Spector NS Pulse II 4string

BillyBass

Earlier this year, at the S.E. Bass Bash I tried several of @cetera's Spectors.  I was particularly impressed by his NS Pulse 2.  One came up on Ebay last week and I bid higher than the others and 'won'.

I played around with it a bit last night and had a look at the wiring and pre amp.  The seller told me the top pot was a 'mids' pot and I couldn't really get my head around it.  The Spector website says this would be a volume volume bass treble set up.  It isn't, but it isn't 'mids' either.  Anyway, on further inspection I have a 'Tonepump Jr' pre amp and the 4 knobs are: Volume, blend, bass, treble.  The blend knob is the only knob where you can feel a middle indent.  

And I'm very impressed by the tones I can get out of these pups and the Tonepump Jr pre amp.  I'm a fan.  It isn't as versatile as the John East pre amps in my Charvels but it isn't too hot and not having an indent on the bass or treble is, to a degree, liberating.  I will admit my default for bass and treble is usually the middle indent and I add a bit of mid.  With the Tonepump Jr I've been leaving the treble at: bright enough to make the G string sing but not hiss badly.  The bass knob I've been fiddling with along with the blend to get a good mix of growl and low end.

It's a light bass and there is a bit of neck dive without a strap but none with my strap on.

I prefer the feel and the necks of my Charvels but I will admit, this Spector sounds better.  It's a keeper, I believe.

IMG_0726.jpeg

• Like 11

Saw that on eBay and that someone had got it for a complete bargain price.... didn't realise it was you. Congrats!

I love mine.... only upgrade I've done is to a full Tonepump pre (from the Tonepump Jr). IMHO it gives the whole sound a bit of a heft/definition kick but the TP Jr sounds great in it's own right, as you've discovered. I also add some crown inlay stickers, but that was just for my visual taste... ;)

Enjoy!!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, cetera said:

Saw that on eBay and that someone had got it for a complete bargain price.... didn't realise it was you. Congrats!

I love mine.... only upgrade I've done is to a full Tonepump pre (from the Tonepump Jr). IMHO it gives the whole sound a bit of a heft/definition kick but the TP Jr sounds great in it's own right, as you've discovered. I also add some crown inlay stickers, but that was just for my visual taste... ;)

Enjoy!!

Not many people put serious bids in.  Times are tough and the advert wasn't very well written.  I put my max bid in at £720 with about 20 seconds to go and got it for £585, so I was very pleased and surprised about that.

I might consider the full Tonepump in time but at the moment I'm more than happy with the tones from this...and Spector and Gallien-Krueger seem to be a match made in heaven!

Thanks for letting me have a go with all you Spectors at the Bass bash!

Edited by BillyBass
  • Like 6

4 minutes ago, BillyBass said:

Not many people put serious bids in.  Times are tough and the advert wasn't very well written.  I put my max bid in at £720 with about 20 seconds to go and got it for £585, so I was very pleased and surprised about that.

I might consider the full Tonepump in time but at the moment I'm more than happy with the tones from this...and Spector and Gallien-Krueger seem to be a match made in heaven!

Thanks for letting me have a go with all you Spectors at the Bass bash!

Yep, that was crazy cheap!

You're welcome re: the bash..... that's what it's all about ;)

You've also discovered the secret elixir..... Spector & GK.... I bang on about that combination to all who'll listen... lol! 💜

• Like 1