Why become a member? ×

2 hours ago, Boodang said:

Jazz, but a custom made one so it's not sh!t.

Also, add a series/parallel switch.

lol...I just did that to one of my P Basses (1980 Precision Special - replaced original Pre with Audere and converted Active/Passive Switch to Series/Parallel.) Parallel on passive P basses is thin, but this bass is active so a little Bass boost to compensate. Its like two Ps in one lol. The Parallel mode has that P voicing but it also has a little of that sizzle I hear in a Stingray. Very modern tone

pb-s.jpg

Edited by Rib13Bass
  • Like 2

After 45 years of playing and having more basses than a guy should.  I’ve come to the point where the P is the bass that best suits my style of play and I can get any tone I want.  I constantly am fighting with my J basses to get anywhere near the tone I want. But, that’s me, play what you love and just enjoy.  That’s the great thing about bass….there’s no wrong bass. 😃

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Riverbassman65 said:

After 45 years of playing and having more basses than a guy should.  I’ve come to the point where the P is the bass that best suits my style of play and I can get any tone I want.  I constantly am fighting with my J basses to get anywhere near the tone I want. But, that’s me, play what you love and just enjoy.  That’s the great thing about bass….there’s no wrong bass. 😃

Don't worry - 10 pints and You will change Your mind fast ! 😁 

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Riverbassman65 said:

There you go.  Welcome to the endgame :)

Love the depth of tone from a P bass but prefer the clarity from a J.

Prefer the Geddy J slim necks to a wide plank like a traditional P bass.

Because of all that i have a P, a J and a PJ. The PJ has a J neck and active. Sounds stinky poo in passive mode tho, but i get the depth and clarity from it and it has the noiseless J pick up too.

Dave

IMO It's not an either/or situation. Jazz and Precision basses are two sides of the same coin.

In some bands the Precision works best and in others the Jazz does. Sometimes I'll play them both on the same gig.

3 minutes ago, chris_b said:

IMO It's not an either/or situation. Jazz and Precision basses are two sides of the same coin.

In some bands the Precision works best and in others the Jazz does. Sometimes I'll play them both on the same gig.

My ex's granny called that "friends with everyone".

• Like 1

The best Jazz I ever owned was a Roscoe Beck.

However, it didn't have Jazz pickups, it had toggle switches, it had graphite rods, it had a hi mass bridge so in reality, it wasn't a Fender Jazz. I've no idea why I said that. You know, hmm, dirty knees, jumpers for goalposts, " is tea ready mummy?"

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, leschirons said:

The best Jazz I ever owned was a Roscoe Beck.

However, it didn't have Jazz pickups, it had toggle switches, it had graphite rods, it had a hi mass bridge so in reality, it wasn't a Fender Jazz. I've no idea why I said that. You know, hmm, dirty knees, jumpers for goalposts, " is tea ready mummy?"

Poo happens to everybody! 🤩

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, BassAdder60 said:

Well … my Jazz Bass is now my number 1 choice !!

Yes my PBass is still great but I’m liking the result with the Jazz especially since switching to a Pick 

Good things happen !

Edited by nilorius
  • Like 2

I always go back to J style basses. Owned or tried so many other basses but i just prefer playing a nice J style bass. I include my MarloweDK as one of my J basses. I just like the combination of neck size and tones available.

Dave

• Like 1